Bacon smoked ale?

:shock: I think I need this. Would it be a bad idea to add a little maple syrup?

I’ll take mine on the side thanks!!! This is one brew I won’t be buying.

For the love of God, don’t do it.

Rogue made a maple bacon. It came in a pepto bismol pink bottle. The experience went downhill from there.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/72720/

I, for one, would like to see a Brewing TV on this. Seems ripe with fun potential.

[quote=“JMcK”]Rogue made a maple bacon. It came in a pepto bismol pink bottle. The experience went downhill from there.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/72720/[/quote]

Easily one of the top 3 worst beers I ever had.

At my brew club meetings they auction off a few rare bottles each month. This came up one month and no one wanted it. A few guys wanted to try it, but no one that had actually drank it before wanted to buy auction tickets.

skip the bason smoked ale,and just make bacon infused vodka for bloody marys or bacon nfused bourbon

2 years ago I was in an Iron Brewer contest and made something I called a Hawaiian LuAle. It was a pilsner base, a little munich, cherry smoked malt, amarillo/cascade/citra/ and secondaried with pineapple, papaya, and coconut. We were looking for a fruity, smoked meat flavor. It was ok early on, but aged very nicely. We drank the last bottle a year later and the smoke had subsided some and blended nicely with the fruit.

You won’t get an actual bacon flavor from smoked malt, but can get more of a smoked meat thing going on. But, it needs to be the right kind of smoked malt. Many just taste like a camp fire.

[quote=“JMcK”]Rogue made a maple bacon. It came in a pepto bismol pink bottle. The experience went downhill from there.

I liked the original a little too much.

Umm…no thanks. They probably should offer this in the 1 gal. version so people could make a small batch to see if they like it first.

[quote=“dobe12”]2 years ago I was in an Iron Brewer contest and made something I called a Hawaiian LuAle. It was a pilsner base, a little munich, cherry smoked malt, amarillo/cascade/citra/ and secondaried with pineapple, papaya, and coconut. We were looking for a fruity, smoked meat flavor. It was ok early on, but aged very nicely. We drank the last bottle a year later and the smoke had subsided some and blended nicely with the fruit.

You won’t get an actual bacon flavor from smoked malt, but can get more of a smoked meat thing going on. But, it needs to be the right kind of smoked malt. Many just taste like a camp fire.[/quote]

When it’s -33 degrees, I don’t mind a smoked porter that tastes like a camp fire. I’m probably one of the few who likes stuff like that.

[quote=“s2y”][quote=“dobe12”]2 years ago I was in an Iron Brewer contest and made something I called a Hawaiian LuAle. It was a pilsner base, a little munich, cherry smoked malt, amarillo/cascade/citra/ and secondaried with pineapple, papaya, and coconut. We were looking for a fruity, smoked meat flavor. It was ok early on, but aged very nicely. We drank the last bottle a year later and the smoke had subsided some and blended nicely with the fruit.

You won’t get an actual bacon flavor from smoked malt, but can get more of a smoked meat thing going on. But, it needs to be the right kind of smoked malt. Many just taste like a camp fire.[/quote]

When it’s -33 degrees, I don’t mind a smoked porter that tastes like a camp fire. I’m probably one of the few who likes stuff like that.[/quote]

What does temp have to do with to much smoked malt

[quote=“grainbelt”]
What does temp have to do with to much smoked malt[/quote]

I like the warming/campfire sensation when it’s super cold out. It’s just not as appealing to me when it’s not cold and there’s snow on the ground. I’ll drink milder smoked beers when it’s hot, generally only with smoked foods.

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“JMcK”]Rogue made a maple bacon. It came in a pepto bismol pink bottle. The experience went downhill from there.

Easily one of the top 3 worst beers I ever had.
[/quote]
Yep. Terrible.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This easily falls into the category “just because you can, doesn’t mean you should”

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

+1. Cook some bacon and drink a beer.

Yeah, they also made some atrocious beer recently that was supposed to taste like a donut, with some other weird flavoring in there, too. It cost $15 for a 22-ouncer, incidentally. I tasted a sample at one of my local favorite beer stores, and I didn’t even want to finish an ounce of it. I’m about done with those guys. They’ve always been totally overpriced and overrated, in my opinion, but now they’re just so full of themselves I can’t even stand it any more. I live in Michigan, where good craft-brew is everywhere. The days of paying too much for pretentious nonsense like that are long over for me.

[quote=“deliusism1”][quote=“JMcK”]Rogue made a maple bacon. It came in a pepto bismol pink bottle. The experience went downhill from there.

Yeah, they also made some atrocious beer recently that was supposed to taste like a donut, with some other weird flavoring in there, too. It cost $15 for a 22-ouncer, incidentally. I tasted a sample at one of my local favorite beer stores, and I didn’t even want to finish an ounce of it. I’m about done with those guys. They’ve always been totally overpriced and overrated, in my opinion, but now they’re just so full of themselves I can’t even stand it any more. I live in Michigan, where good craft-brew is everywhere. The days of paying too much for pretentious nonsense like that are long over for me.[/quote]

Oh that will always be there

New Glarus made a Smoked Porter a few years ago that was aged on applewood from the meat processing plant next to their old brewery location. Tasted like a cross between ashtray and bacon. I’ve heard people say that bacon goes with everything but I REALLY have to disagree. Probably why I’m not in any hurry to try any other smoked beer. I will be skipping this one.

I guess I’ll be the first to admit that I’m a little tempted to brew this one. I dunno, guys. Maybe I just have bad taste. lol But me and my buddies were so let down by the Voodoo Doughnut (I even got the bomber fresh from a Rogue brewpub in Portland) that I’ve been on the lookout for another bacon beer ever since. Me and my buddies are weird. When we see flavored beers, like pizza beer, we’re all over that stuff. It’s more just for fun than a serious tasting. And I’ll agree flavored beers usually aren’t that great, but you never know. Southern Tier’s creme brulee stout is one example that I don’t regret trying.

Anyway, my main hesitation is the price ($50! wtf?) and of course the fact that if it’s not that good, I’m stuck with 5 gallons of it. But the fact it has the cherrywood smoked malt and the bacon extract at flameout has definitely piqued my curiousity. It might end up tasting too much like bacon, actually. I have a slurry of 1056 I just saved so I’m contemplating using some of it on this beer if I decide to gamble with the $50. I’ll follow up on this thread if I do.