Anyone else have an affinity for single hopped Columbus IPA?

I’m brewing up my third batch of single hopped Columbus IPA, and I just can’t get enough of this particular beer. Anyone else brew one of these up?

Yes, I make one SMaSH style - only Great Western 2-row and Columbus. Typically make enough for three kegs at one time and play around with dryhops on the second or third if I get tired of Columbus. Dryhopping the third keg of the last batch some time this week, thinking about using Centennial this time.

columbus and 2 row smash kicks ass

:smiley: Yeah buddy!!!

And, out of all the beers I brew, I probably get the most compliments on this particular one from IPA lovers. The problem is, it is so crisp, smooth, and citrusy, that it tastes like a summertime lawnmower beer. But when you treat it as such and stumble off of the patio, you realize it is not a lawnmower beer… Maybe I’ll make my next one with a lower ABV and see how it pans out.

I’ve been wanting to do that using an Amarillo dry hop. Just don’t want to mess up one of my best beers, but I have a feeling it would be superb.

I also do a Columbus SMASH. It’s on the edge of pale ale and IPA and tasted great.

Any of you doing the Columbus Smash care to share your recipe? I recently bought a pound of Columbus with no recipe in mind for them and the smash brew sounds great! I just jumped into AG and loving it, therefore, looking for tasty recipes to try.

:cheers:

A pound of Columbus? You ARE the man sir!

Forgot to answer your question… LOL A two row malt in the correct amount to get your desired OG would be all the recipe you would need. Columbus hops to me tend to be very good with higher gravity beers in the 7% ABV range.

As far as additions go, I’ve found that Columbus hops are STELLAR for late additions due to their wonderful flavor and aroma profile along with the high alpha acid content. When using only Columbus, I much prefer to get most of my IBU’s from late additions as opposed to using a smaller amount during the full boil for bitterness.

Figure out what IBU you want, and use an IBU calculator to achieve it through late additions only (15 minutes on down to flame out). You won’t regret it with this hop and a single malt…

I always use Safale 05 yeast when brewing up with Columbus only. They work perfectly together.

+1k
IPA doesn’t need to be complicated at all. In fact, lately I’ve come around to believing that the very best ones are almost always the very simplest.

+1k
IPA doesn’t need to be complicated at all. In fact, lately I’ve come around to believing that the very best ones are almost always the very simplest.[/quote]

+1

:cheers: [/quote]

The entire pound wasn’t meant for 1 brew…I was buying in bulk and figured I could use the Columbus in many a different beers.

my columbus smash recipe

14lbs 2 row…i previously posted 12lbs i meant 14 my bad

.75oz columbus 60 min
1oz columbus 20 mins
2oz columbus 5 mins
1 oz columbus DH 7 days

wyeast 1056,WL0001 or us05

mash @ 153-154 60 mins
ferment @ 64 3 weeks

very simple…salude

:cheers: [/quote]

The entire pound wasn’t meant for 1 brew…I was buying in bulk and figured I could use the Columbus in many a different beers.[/quote]

Indeed sir, was just being silly. It’s a great bittering hop for stouts as well.

This is the first I’ve heard of such things. I think you guys have just determined one of my next brews! :cheers:

I have single hopped best bitter (columbus) that needs to be kegged. I don’t get much citrus, but damn it’s dank. 8)

Outstanding!!! :smiley:

SMASH IPA

10 lbs Maris Otter or pale malt
Columbus additions:
.75 @ 60min
.50 @ 30min
1.00 @ 0 min
1.00 @ Dry hop 7 days before kegging or bottling

yeast: Saf US-05

The host’s Rebel Red ale (limited edition) was fantastic.

4.5 lbs. Rahr Pale Ale Malt
.75 lb CaraRed
.5 lb CaraAroma
.25 lb Caramel 80
.25 lb. Caramel 40
.25 oz. Columbus (60 minutes)
3.75 oz. Columbus (0 minutes)
4 oz Columbus (dry hop)

I’ve made this twice, once with the seasonal yeast (WY1768), and the other time with WY1968. Both beers were great.

J

[quote=“Barliman”]The host’s Rebel Red ale (limited edition) was fantastic.

[/quote]

What was the OG on that? Seems like a session beer?