.25# choco malt

hopping (all Simcoe)
fwh @75
.5 @ 6o
the rest is all 1oz additions at 20, 10, 5, 0

mashing at 148 for an hour.

My biggest question is the need/ want of the Caramunich on top of the Munich
thoughts?[/quote]

I’d lose the chocolate malt. Maybe go with 2-4 ounces of pale chocolate if you are looking for a slight toasty flavor, but not particularly appropriate in an IPA (that being said, brew whatever it is that you want).

Also, a full # of caramunich will make this more of an American Amber. I’d cut it back to 1/4-1/2# max unless thats what youre going for.

Finally, the hopping schedule looks good, though I’ve heard Simcoe on its own can be kind of gnarly. You may be better off with Magnum or something neutral @ 60, then layering in centennial, CTZ, citra and/or cascade with the Simcoes later.

simcoe is a good bittering hop. very low cohumulone, and very smooth.

The reason people recommend against using it for bittering, is because it has been hard to come by, and it’s a very nice late hop.

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]
The reason people recommend against using it for bittering, is because it has been hard to come by, and it’s a very nice late hop.[/quote]

My meaning was more that Simcoe, if used on its own, can be a little off-putting to a lot of people (from what I’ve heard). My suggestion for Magnum was more due to your point, that it is harder to come by (and usually price-gougingly overpriced).

Most definitely. A lot of people think it taste catty, others say grapefruit. Personally I love the hop for single hop beers. Pietro is right though, it’s one of those hops you either love or hate

I agree with Pietro’s advice above. Also, are you planning to dry hop? IPA should have a strong hop aroma. The most effective way to do that IMO is to dry hop liberally.

I don’t love or hate Simcoe per se, however IMO it’s easy to use too much. If used in moderation, think it pairs nicely with fruity hops like Amarillo and Calypso. Just brewed a rye IPA with all three and the FG sample was very tasty.

I’m not married to using Simcoe, I like that it’s a good dual purpose hop, and I want to use only one hop so I can have a constant. We’ve had wildly bad efficiency lately so I want to do 3 quick brew in a row (all this recipe) to figure out what’s going on.

Not sure how using a single hop as opposed to multiple would tell you how you are getting erratic mash or brewhouse efficiency (?).

ANYWHO, I am a Simcoe fan. I’ve never tried it in a single-hop beer, but generally, I’m not a fan of single-hop beers. If trying to understand one hops flavor/aroma profile, I’ve generally had much more drinkable results by using a neutral, low cohum bittering hop (like magnum/warrior) and the rest of the featured hop.

If I were pressed to do a single hop beer, it would be Centennial, as Two Hearted is one of the best APA’s made IMO, and to my understanding, it is all Centennial.

Anyway, good luck w/ the brew and the efficiency issue- :cheers: