Amarillo and Simcoe hops!

Just a heads up, wholesalehops.com currently has Amarillo and Simcoe hops by the pound in stock. If you’re looking, go snatch some up. Limit of 4 lbs. on Simcoe, and 1lb on Amarillo.

There - I did my good duty for the day.

It sucks how much everyone marks up hops for retail (wholesalehops my a$$!) - I buy both of these in the $8-$12 per lb range in 11-lb increments.

I totally agree. I’m not a fan of how things are with the retailing of hops. I would be overjoyed if I could buy a pound of Amarillo for $10, unfortunately my wife would probably hurt me if I bought 11 lbs. of anything.

It is frustrating to see how some hops have gone through the roof… I refuse to participate in the frenzy so I’ve changed many of my recipes to utilize common, less expensive hops. I have to admit, they’re still tasting great… Go figure… YMMV. Cheers!!!

i will also be going through many of my recipes to match hops that are readily available at a reasonable price.

some one should start a thread on succsesful recipes converted to use cheaper hops

[quote=“bdaugherty”]some one should start a thread on succsesful recipes converted to use cheaper hops[/quote]I use Columbus and Cascade for “everyday” beers - both are cheap and plentiful.

Yup. I use cheaper hops and beers are just as tasty. Cascade, centennial, columbus, willamette… Cheap and delicious. Just got 3# of belma (how can you not at 5 bucks a pop?!) but have not yet tried. And by the way, serebrianka is delicious! Cheap too…

Good for you. I wanted to brew an IPA with simcoe/amarillo early next year. I got some simcoe, but no luck on the amarillo. My revised recipe calls for simcoe to bitter and a glacier/ahtanum combo to finish.
If the grower of amarillo isn’t carefull he’s gonna lose a bunch of sales to other varieties that he may not get back.

I would love to know your “changes” to make the same beer with different hops. I’m all for saving a buck.

FYI - Amarillo’s are gone…

I would love to know your “changes” to make the same beer with different hops. I’m all for saving a buck.[/quote]

Not the same beer but just as good a beer IMO…

Some ol’ standbys & some alternatives that I’m using that were mentioned above:
Magnum (Bittering) Currently $11.30/lb @ Hops Direct
Cascade (a bit pricey right now @ $11.85/lb @ Hops Direct but available)
Centennial (a bit pricey right now @ $15.90/lb @ Hops Direct but available)
CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) $9.15/lb @ Hops Direct
Galena ($6.00/lb last spring on clearance)
Willamette ($6.00/lb last spring on clearance)
Glacier ($6.00/lb last spring on clearance)

Lagers are getting some Vanguard love this year. They were clearanced @ $3.50/lb last spring.

Gota watch those spring clearances… :wink:

Cheers!!!

Man snooze you lose. All out of both for now.

I just picked up a # of Caliente from another ‘wholesaler’. Might try out a SMaSH with caliente and vienna. Zythos are going pretty darned quick now too.

If you like or don’t mind using whole hops, a couple days ago freshhops.com had had 2012 Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, etc. for fairly reasonable prices considering how hard these hops are to find after hopsdirect sold out.

Their site seems to be down at the moment.

I recently brewed an APA that I FWHed and late hopped with glacier, instead of the amarillo I wanted to use. It wasn’t the same beer, but pretty damn good. I’ll be using glacier again.
We don’t need no stinkin’ amarillo.

Prices aren’t great but I will tell you a friend let me know that the Grain to Glass website just put up Simcoe, Citra, Cent etc by the pound for pellets. Amarillo is on the list but the biggest I see is 4oz bags at 10 bucks.

They do have some decent deals on 2011 hops including Sorachi Ace for a dollar per oz…

I may have to order a pnd of Citra just to have for my torpedo clones. That would give me enough for over 16 batches ha…

http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/cat ... =20&page=5

They have Simcoe’s back in stock at http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/s … tegory=111

http://www.graintoglasshomebrew.com/cat ... =20&page=5

Just putting in a plug for Grain to Glass.

Just over a year or so old business and the owner Brad and his wife are really nice people.

They’re my LHBS! :smiley:

Nice to finally have a shop in my hometown.

[quote=“Duder”]Milfs in Frederick, MD. Casual sex for fun. … =20&page=5

Just over a year or so old business and the owner Brad and his wife are really nice people.

Nice to finally have a shop in my hometown.[/quote]

Just an FYI and kudos to Grain to Glass, placed my first order with them today, they shipped same day.

My local homebrewstore has plenty of citra and Simcoe pellets by the pound in hop union packaging, and he says he can order more. Amarillo he’s down to his last few pounds of leaf and can’t order more though.

[quote=“Duder”]Milfs in Frederick, MD. Casual sex for fun. … =20&page=5

Nice to finally have a shop in my hometown.[/quote]I just bought 4 pounds of hops from them. Nice website.

I also just placed an order for a bunch of hops. Simcoe! My goodness, I’m excited! These guys seem like the only ones who actually have those! And Galaxy, and Citra…