All-Grain in an Apartment

Hello All-Grain Folks,

I want to get started with all grain brewing, but I live in an apartment with an electric stove. I don’t expect to be able to do a full boil with 1 kettle on my electric stove (correct me if I’m wrong).

So my thought was to get a second 5 gallon kettle and split the wort/hops between the two kettles. Then once they’re boiled and chilled put them in the same fermentor.

Any thoughts on this?

-RPM

I’m in kind of the same boat, although I usually just make smaller batches. I was making 2.5 gallon batches for a while and now I make 1.7 gallons. It’s fun to brew and I don’t drink a lot, so it works great for me. However on occasion I do make 5 or even 6 gallons, and for those batches, I do just like you have proposed, splitting the boil between 2 or even 3 kettles. It works great. Go for it.

You can also brew a higher gravity, smaller volume wort and top off, like you usually do with extract.

Thanks for the replies! I’m going to go with my original plan.

Any good recommendations for first all-grain recipe? Thought about going with the NB Cream Ale since I had made the extract version of it before.

Brew what you like to drink. Any of the NB kits are solid recipes. My tastes may be different than yours.

If doing the split boil, you may want to combing all the wort. Then split it between the pots. That way you will get closer to the same gravity reading in each pot. Better hop utilization that way.

You would not want to have one pot with a gravity of 1.075 and the other 1.035.

[quote=“RyChannel”]Thanks for the replies! I’m going to go with my original plan.

Any good recommendations for first all-grain recipe? Thought about going with the NB Cream Ale since I had made the extract version of it before.[/quote]

Try the innkeeper it’s a solid beer and only uses six pounds of grain

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Brew what you like to drink. Any of the NB kits are solid recipes. My tastes may be different than yours.

If doing the split boil, you may want to combing all the wort. Then split it between the pots. That way you will get closer to the same gravity reading in each pot. Better hop utilization that way.

You would not want to have one pot with a gravity of 1.075 and the other 1.035.[/quote]

Thanks Nighthawk, I was actually going to do that, just forgot to mention it in my original post. I’m going to pour the wort in to a fermenting bucket then siphon it in to each kettle.

This is a valid point, however, I’ll drink just about anything.

[quote=“beerme11”]

Try the innkeeper it’s a solid beer and only uses six pounds of grain[/quote]

I’ll add this to my list o’ beers to try. Thanks!

This is a valid point, however, I’ll drink just about anything.[/quote]

Then start with the “A’s” and end with the “Z’s”.

This is a valid point, however, I’ll drink just about anything.[/quote]

Then start with the “A’s” and end with the “Z’s”.[/quote]

hahaha, fair enough

I used to be in the same boat. My complex had some green space, so as long as I was 15 feet minimum away from a structure, I could use my turkey fryer system to boil. Yeah, I got funny looks, but who was the mofo with gallons and gallons of beer???.. This guy!!!

When I was in an apartment I inquired with the manager. She said to ask the FD. The said a turkey fryer was in the same class as a gas grill. So as long as the apartment complex was OK with gas grills, they were fine with the fryer.

Of course, the were giving me the evil eye about a turkey fryer fire. :roll: I kept reassuring them that sugar water is not flammable.

How are you planning to sparge? If you plan to fly sparge, you might want to consider a darker beer for your first all-grain, as the color will lighten and give you a good clue as to when it is time to stop. If you are planning to batch sparge or BIAG, it doesn’t matter and just brew whatever you want.

I have a big electrical boiler pot that I use so I dont have to use the stove. Works great and an awesome space-saver.

http://otterbo.wordpress.com/ <-- Öl och hembryggning!