AK47 Pale Xtra mild?

We have just finished up with the Brew/Pitch/Primary for today, OG is a surprisingly low 1.026 w/temp & corrected cheapy hydro… not scared will will move on to Emma’s ale for our 3rd batch.

concerning the AK, we were gonna give it a week in 2ndary after the fermentation ends, then bottle…

No need for secondary for that beer, especially with such a low OG. 2 weeks primary, 2 weeks in the bottle. Good to go.

The Ameican Wheat seemed to work good like that, 2wks PF, 2wks BC so why not?? Altho we just began bottle conditioning on Fri, both beers cleared in the hydro test-tube enough to enjoy! but I will finish a flat beer from the nite before as I awake…

This being our 2nd beer, We havent made/purchased a chiller yet. We had awesome cooling in an Ice Bath w/rock salt added made it almost too cool! In 10 min!

If we had a pot of boiled-cooling water for a “hot liquor tank” to dip from & “sparge” the boil sediment for sugar, (maybe only a gallon+/-) since we poured most of it into lg strainer as it went into the primary. would that be a bad idea?

We used the fattest smak-pak of Neo-Britannia so I will expect to find a healthy Kraeusen in a few hours. We finished about 2pm

[quote=“Shanhorn”]The Ameican Wheat seemed to work good like that, 2wks PF, 2wks BC so why not?? Altho we just began bottle conditioning on Fri, both beers cleared in the hydro test-tube enough to enjoy! but I will finish a flat beer from the nite before as I awake…

This being our 2nd beer, We havent made/purchased a chiller yet. We had awesome cooling in an Ice Bath w/rock salt added made it almost too cool! In 10 min!

If we had a pot of boiled-cooling water for a “hot liquor tank” to dip from & “sparge” the boil sediment for sugar, (maybe only a gallon+/-) since we poured most of it into lg strainer as it went into the primary. would that be a bad idea?

We used the fattest smak-pak of Neo-Britannia so I will expect to find a healthy Kraeusen in a few hours. We finished about 2pm[/quote]

You want to sparge (rinse) the hot/cold break and hops with some fresh water? I don’t see a benefit in doing this.

There is a movement in brewers to stop doing secondaries. Unless you are going to reuse the yeast and are also going to add fruit to the beer. It saves cleaning/sanitizing one more fermenter and associated hoses/racking canes. It also eliminates one more chance to get an infection. Instead, we are leaving the beer in the primary fermenter for 2-4 weeks. Then bottle/keg.

That is the answer I was looking for. My sanitation habits are beyond that of most since I use a sanitized solution @ work every day. A second will certainly be done when called for. We are still a bit warm in the fermentation area will put a fan on it if it needs it.

Update: doin great with-in the temp range of the yeast. Krueasen forming nicely, bubbling air lock…once again, happy novice homebrewer!

2 weeks+/- til bottling the AK X-tra mild, and sampling our “Friday the 13th Wheat”, Emma’s tentative brew date is during the last 2 weeks in Feb.

I am confused how your og could be so low? did you not use all the extract or did you not boil for 60 minutes? did you finish with much more than 5 gals?

Enough with the 21 questions. good to see you are getting in to home brewing i have done both the american ale and the ak 47 two tasty beers!

we saved 2/3rds cup corn sugar for bottling out of the 1# pkg in kit, we may have 1 qt more than 5 gal. Boil took about 90 min total for grains and malt additions since we do a flame off malt/sugar additions and steep grains for 20 min @ less than 170°F

the wyeast neo britannia has impressed me since our 1st beer used 05 Safale pitched dry. Big krueasen lots of activity 5 days in

I know, I keep posting with no other responses…lol We are approaching day 11 on primary fermentation there is still a fat krueasen on top and bubbling airlock, I will not be surprised if the fermentation lasts longer than 2 weeks before leveling off…I hope to see a 1.005 FG

If extract, I’d be shocked if it finished that low. All grain, yes maybe. But even all grain beers don’t usually finish that low. It is possible, but unlikely.

If in fact the kruaesen hasn’t dissipated & fallen back into the beer on day 14, am I wrong for letting it go up to 21 days (or until we see no more activity) if the yeast (that I can see working) has no sign of being finished? This IS only our second batch, I don’t want to disturb the process. I figure the lower I can get the FG the better chance this beer has in being 3% ABV since we started so low about 3.5%…

So if we DO get up to day 18~21 in primary (see previous post), it will be like having a week in the secondary. We are still new to this but as I observe the liquid yeast’s performance, we WILL be hydrating the safale 05 in April when we brew ‘Friday the 13th Wheat’ again…

Let the beer finish. I am guessing 1.010 as an FG with extract brew like that. You can leave it in the primary for up to a month without any issues. If the krausen is still full, it may be that the temperature is a bit lower than the yeast like, but maybe they are just a little sluggish. I don’t have experience with that yeast, but I recall that others really like it.

Racking it over prematurely is really your only risk.

:cheers:

At 14days it should be about done. I’d start taking gravity readings. It’s the only way to know for sure. Take a ready every day for 3 days in a row. If they are all the same, it’s done. But no, leaving it go another week won’t hurt either. There’s no way it will still be fermenting after 3 weeks. Not with that low of a gravity and at normal temps (60-70F).

From personal experience the 1945 Neo Brit. is a great yeast. I just racked a 4 week old Barley Wine OG 1.086 Sg 1.028 to Secondary and it still had a minor kreusen on the top. This was a 5th generation neo brit that is now retired. If someone can have a favorite yeast I guess this is mine.

Is what you’re telling me that I may have had a great initial reaction to this strain of yeast, & since I’m not recycling I could either rack to secondary for clarification purpose for a week & then bottle. or as This thread has suggested I do not 2ndary, & keep in Primary possibly for 18~21 days.

What I read in your post is that the BEER may be done but the YEAST is still active. Correct? You say you fermented 5 batches of beer with one pkg by recycling the Yeast(re-pitching the cake?)? COOL! I will possibly attempt that some day…

We Must Give a shout out to those here who post guidance, You have given me the confidence to produce a recipe of my own in the Blonde style to honor a lost pet who went under the needle on 2-9-12. When we attempt My “Jake Boy Blonde” We may put it into rotation so that it becomes ready by the 9th of Feb each year.

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Let the beer finish. I am guessing 1.010 as an FG with extract brew like that. You can leave it in the primary for up to a month without any issues. If the krausen is still full, it may be that the temperature is a bit lower than the yeast like, but maybe they are just a little sluggish. I don’t have experience with that yeast, but I recall that others really like it.

Racking it over prematurely is really your only risk.

:cheers: [/quote]
Thank You!

[quote=“dobe12”]At 14days it should be about done. I’d start taking gravity readings. It’s the only way to know for sure. Take a ready every day for 3 days in a row. If they are all the same, it’s done. But no, leaving it go another week won’t hurt either. There’s no way it will still be fermenting after 3 weeks. Not with that low of a gravity and at normal temps (60-70F).[/quote]\

This sounds like what I need to do on Mon13th~Wed15th since Monday is day 15…Thanks to all…

Here I go, changing my mind like a 19 yr old female in VS!..lol

We have decided to wait until Friday (day 19) to bottle and will take a FG reading then.

The krueasen has just about all fallen back in & we have about a min between bubbles in the airlock.