Aeration System

OK, in my ever growing goal to slowly add things here and there and expand my brewing experience and quality, I am now ready to dive into the world of making sure I am providing plenty of aeration.

To date I am doing the whole forceful pours, topping off with as much splashing etc as I can get, at times even transferring wort back and forth from kettle to fermenter a few times. BUT now I want to instead get a pump and do it with a pump and air stone

I think I know the answer to this, but is it as easy as getting a fish tank pump and proper tubing and an air stone from somewhere? I see NB sells a kit, but I also saw comments that for about $10 I could of put the same thing together myself.

I think the answer is YES - but is it really just that simple? any things I need to think about, like how big exactly of a pump? any things about the stone? certain types?

follow up question - is the aquarium pump good enough, or of I am going to do this, should I be stepping up to an oxygen kit (which I think means you get actual canisters of oxygen and hook it up to something like this?)

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brew ... n-kit.html

is the oxygen kit that much better? especially if I got a larger aquarium pump? I don’t want to spend money I don’t need to, but I am also ok with bying what I need if I am goig to buy anything at all.

I forget where, but I saw a study that demonstrated that an air pump is no more effective than vigorously shaking a carboy. The maximum achievable level of dissolved oxygen is the same for both methods (best case: ~8 ppm), because you’re using “air” which is ~21% oxygen. I believe 8-10ppm is the recommended range depending on the wort. The disadvantages of a pump are that you have to run it for a long time and it introduces yet another opportunity for contaminating your wort (two factors: sanitation of the equipment and you’re pumping air from the room, which is full of wild yeast and other potential contaminants), but a pump is obviously easier on your back.

With a simple oxygen system and a tank from Home Depot, you can get a five gallon batch into the recommended range with a 60 second application of pure oxygen. Worth the investment IMO. Shop around to find the best deal.

ya I was wondering about the whole 20 + minutes of open fermenter and it seemed like one more chance for something to float over or into the beer.

Like I said, unless it is outragously expensive, if I am going to bother with it I would want to do it right.

I will look at the home depot/lowes route. ball park, anyone know what that would run? $20? $40? more?

I’m in a similar boat. I’d spend the extra few bucks and upgrade to pure O2 with a regulator and stone. Max 60 seconds with pure O2 for most ales. I’ve been buying 02 cylinders recently and using my neighbors regulator and stone. Prior to this, I was shaking, which research proves isn’t really that effective.

spend the 50 bucks and get an oxygen kit, you won’t be dissapointed

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]
I will look at the home depot/lowes route. ball park, anyone know what that would run? $20? $40? more?[/quote]
Sorry, my post was slightly unclear with regard to what you can get from Home Depot. You can get the O2 canisters, but I don’t believe they carry the other components.

I highly recommend this route: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS … 9C106.aspx

NB’s O2 kit is fine too, but the rigid wand is a lot easier to use than a hose IMO. A lot.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“fullhousebrew”]
I will look at the home depot/lowes route. ball park, anyone know what that would run? $20? $40? more?[/quote]
Sorry, my post was slightly unclear with regard to what you can get from Home Depot. You can get the O2 canisters, but I don’t believe they carry the other components.

I highly recommend this route: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/WILLIAMS … 9C106.aspx

NB’s O2 kit is fine too, but the rigid wand is a lot easier to use than a hose IMO. A lot.[/quote]

The hose is just as easy to use, Storage, cleaning, and sanitizing is the main thing to think about between the hose and stainless IMO

this is perfect, thanks. $50 or so on this and what looks like $10/canister at home depot for the oxygen looks like the route, both with ease and effectiveness.

and… someone (me that is) has both a birthday and fathers day coming up and a whole batch of people looking for ideas for me.

I will say as much as my wife doesn’t like howmuch time this hobby takes up, she does like the fact it always provides her some idea for a gift she can give me or tell my family. ever expanding hobby

seriously, as always thanks for all of this. helps tons

[quote=“grainbelt”]
The hose is just as easy to use, Storage, cleaning, and sanitizing is the main thing to think about between the hose and stainless IMO[/quote]
I disagree. In my experience the hose would tend to curl up in the carboy and it was a challenge to get it to the bottom. Basically the same price for a kit with a rigid stainless wand is a no-brainer IMO. :wink:

Now you need to find a style of beer that she really likes, or maybe a wine, and keep that on hand for her to enjoy. :wink:

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“grainbelt”]
The hose is just as easy to use, Storage, cleaning, and sanitizing is the main thing to think about between the hose and stainless IMO[/quote]
I disagree. In my experience the hose would tend to curl up in the carboy and it was a challenge to get it to the bottom. Basically the same price for a kit with a rigid stainless wand is a no-brainer IMO. :wink: [/quote]

I have never had that issue, its a hose you just push it to the bottom. I’ve used both and they both have up and downs. I really hate how you cant take the stone off the wand.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]ya I was wondering about the whole 20 + minutes of open fermenter and it seemed like one more chance for something to float over or into the beer.

Like I said, unless it is outragously expensive, if I am going to bother with it I would want to do it right.

the disposable tank are 6 or 7 bucks

[quote=“grainbelt”]
the disposable tank are 6 or 7 bucks[/quote]

Yes I did a very fast search on Lowes and it was $9.99, but that was online and in stores may be a bit cheaper or a few bucks lower at home depot. still not that much.

So sounds like I need to:

1. decide on the hose type option from NB or the SS Wand from williams brewing
  2. buy a tank from home depot/lowes

I am liking this route much more than the aquarium pump route.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”][quote=“grainbelt”]
the disposable tank are 6 or 7 bucks[/quote]

Yes I did a very fast search on Lowes and it was $9.99, but that was online and in stores may be a bit cheaper or a few bucks lower at home depot. still not that much.

So sounds like I need to:

1. decide on the hose type option from NB or the SS Wand from williams brewing
  2. buy a tank from home depot/lowes

I am liking this route much more than the aquarium pump route.[/quote]

It’s a great upgrade. You will see a difference in fermentation on your first use.
When you go to Lowes or Ace or Homedepot they are sometimes hard to find, never a ton in stock and tucked away usually by welding supplies

ok, maybe one more completely stupid question.

once I use up the whole tank, do i return it to them for a fill up? dispose somewhere special? just toss in the trash (I am thinking NO to that last one).

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]ok, maybe one more completely stupid question.

once I use up the whole tank, do i return it to them for a fill up? dispose somewhere special? just toss in the trash (I am thinking NO to that last one).[/quote]

they do not fill, they are disposable tanks.
SOme throw them away, some bring to recycling places that take them, etc…

[quote=“grainbelt”]
I have never had that issue, its a hose you just push it to the bottom. I’ve used both and they both have up and downs. I really hate how you cant take the stone off the wand.[/quote]
Why do you need to take the stone off the wand? It should not need to be replaced.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“grainbelt”]
I have never had that issue, its a hose you just push it to the bottom. I’ve used both and they both have up and downs. I really hate how you cant take the stone off the wand.[/quote]
Why do you need to take the stone off the wand? It should not need to be replaced.[/quote]

just for that reason to replace it if something happens to it. I also like to boil mine before and after use so it doesn’t clog. That’s a pain with the big wand

[quote=“grainbelt”]
just for that reason to replace it if something happens to it. I also like to boil mine before and after use so it doesn’t clog. That’s a pain with the big wand[/quote]
Something happening to it sounds like user error to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Easy to boil. I put it in a 2l flask.