Aeration System

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“grainbelt”]
just for that reason to replace it if something happens to it. I also like to boil mine before and after use so it doesn’t clog. That’s a pain with the big wand[/quote]
Something happening to it sounds like user error to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

Easy to boil. I put it in a 2l flask.[/quote]

well good glad it works for you

so i am 100% on board for getting ONE of these. Guess I am now locked into the debate that is sounds like is going on - is teh NB with the removable stone but flexible hose better OR the other williams brewing with the ss rod.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]is the NB with the removable stone but flexible hose better OR the other williams brewing with the ss rod.[/quote]I prefer the stone on the wand because I swirl the stone through the wort (or hold it in the whirlpool) to better disperse the O2.

One really easy way to keep the stone from clogging is to never have it in wort unless the O2 is running.

either will work fine, just gotta take your pick, it comes down to preference, your setup, room, etc…each one can be used just as easy, swirling it around and such. It’s more if you want to be able to take it apart, replace things, and how compact you want it

either will work fine, just gotta take your pick, it comes down to preference, your setup, room, etc…each one can be used just as easy, swirling it around and such. It’s more if you want to be able to take it apart, replace things, and how compact you want it[/quote]

ya splitting hairs I think. excited for yet another toy.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]
ya splitting hairs I think. excited for yet another toy.[/quote]
The price for the Williams kit is such that you can get it and switch to a hose and stone for very little money if you don’t like it. But if you go with the hose now and don’t like it, it will cost $35 plus shipping to switch to the wand later. The package deal is a steal.

Shade’s comment about O2 flowing when going into and out of the wort is on the money. You want to follow this regardless of which option you go with.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“fullhousebrew”]
ya splitting hairs I think. excited for yet another toy.[/quote]
The price for the Williams kit is such that you can get it and switch to a hose and stone for very little money if you don’t like it. But if you go with the hose now and don’t like it, it will cost $35 plus shipping to switch to the wand later. The package deal is a steal.

Shade’s comment about O2 flowing when going into and out of the wort is on the money. You want to follow this regardless of which option you go with.[/quote]

where do you see that?

+1 on alwasy having o2 running going in and out of wort

if I look at the williams one more closely, it looks like it consists of the following:

22" Aeration Wand
2 micron stainless aeration stone,
4’ of tubing,
and an Oxygen Regulator for standard hardware store oxygen welding tanks

sounds like what kc may be saying is technically later on you can ditch the wand and just go straight from the regulator to tubing to a replacement stone, which is close to what the NB item is. if for some reason you wanted or had to. Kind of like the parts that can’t be replaced individually is the ss rod/stone combo.

either still beats my current system of having my 7 year old blow through a long straw until he looks slightly blue in the face. BUT I am leaning towards the williams one for now. I still think either would work though.

[quote=“grainbelt”]
where do you see that?[/quote]
Not sure what you’re referring to exactly, but I’ll give it a go. $12 for a replacement stone vs. $35 for the wand–both from the same vendor as a stand-alone purchase. Don’t need any more tubing, because the wand kit comes with plenty.

For some reason I feel that there are better things we could be doing than debating the merits of a hose vs a wand. We should put some of this energy into finding the answer to the meaning of life, the universe and everything. :slight_smile:

Edit: fixed my Hitchhiker’s reference.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]
sounds like what kc may be saying is technically later on you can ditch the wand and just go straight from the regulator to tubing to a replacement stone, which is close to what the NB item is. if for some reason you wanted or had to. Kind of like the parts that can’t be replaced individually is the ss rod/stone combo…[/quote]
Yep, that’s it–and at a lower overall cost than if you were to do the opposite.

[quote=“fullhousebrew”]either still beats my current system of having my 7 year old blow through a long straw until he looks slightly blue in the face.[/quote]With an in-line HEPA filter I hope. :wink:

No I just soak his lips in san star

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“fullhousebrew”]
sounds like what kc may be saying is technically later on you can ditch the wand and just go straight from the regulator to tubing to a replacement stone, which is close to what the NB item is. if for some reason you wanted or had to. Kind of like the parts that can’t be replaced individually is the ss rod/stone combo…[/quote]
Yep, that’s it–and at a lower overall cost than if you were to do the opposite.[/quote]

stones and tank regulatirs are smaller connections. It kind of depends how you put it together. I have a hose inside a hose on mine with an air filter attached. Like we said though either will work. And I’m not putting a price on plastic tubing when it is something that I would replace regularly.