Add vanilla to rice based lager?

Just brewed a rice based lager:

5.5g
7lb German Pilsner
2lb Rice Syrup Solids
Wyeast 2007
.26oz Magnum 14.7AA

The hydro sample was superb, no hop taste, very smooth, no alcohol bite, ever so slight sweet finish.

Would one vanilla bean for 1 week after (or at the end of) lagering kill this lager or would it make it more like a vanilla cream lager?

What the heck is a vanilla cream lager? Personally, I wouldn’t do it.

Yeah, I think vanilla accentuates dark malt. Brings out chocolate flavor, IMO.

It’s tomorrow’s free beer.

[quote=“mrv”]

Yeah, I think vanilla accentuates dark malt. Brings out chocolate flavor, IMO.[/quote]

You’re probably right. Perhaps, I’ll try adding a couple drops of vanilla extract to one glass just to test it.

The reason I thought this would work was because of the slight sweet after taste, which the vanilla might cut. If it cut it just a little and a little sweetness remained, I think it would work.

Heck, you are never going to know for sure until you try it. Part of the joy of home brewing is trying new things; that is also one of the best ways of learning. It sounds a little out there but I would try a pint if I saw it at my local brewery.

Maybe split the batch into 2, try the vanilla and one half and leave the other half clean. I have had mixed results with vanilla beans. If it does not turn out how you hope, at least you would still have the other half to enjoy or experiment with.

Good luck with it.