8,12,13 Gallons Barrels Excellent to storage Grain

[quote=“fightdman”]Just got mine yesterday.

Current users, any staining issues? Odor retention?[/quote]Yes, they can retain odor like a bucket and they will stain if you use Iodophor. I use StarSan on my Curtec fermenters. They are as clean and white as the day they were new.

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“fightdman”]Just got mine yesterday.

Current users, any staining issues? Odor retention?[/quote]Yes, they can retain odor like a bucket and they will stain if you use Iodophor. I use StarSan on my Curtec fermenters. They are as clean and white as the day they were new.[/quote]

MullerBrau turned me on to these a couple years back.I bought two and I have to say they kick ass.
Durable, great seal, clean easy, and they are great for 10 gallon batches.

Anyone figure out a way to do a closed transfer (using C02 to push) with one of these? I really like these, but what has always held me back is that I really like my sanke keg with a corny top welded on because it’s a breeze to keg from. What I don’t like about my sanke fermenter is the weight of it. Cleaning isn’t so bad as I just rinse and do a PBW soak.

Thoughts?

I a, going to give a couple of the smaller ones a try as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200720513890?ss ... 1558.l2649

I am hoping they are taller and skinnier than my ale pails so they more easily fit into my fermentation fridge

[quote=“Son of a Kraut”]Anyone figure out a way to do a closed transfer (using C02 to push) with one of these? I really like these, but what has always held me back is that I really like my sanke keg with a corny top welded on because it’s a breeze to keg from. What I don’t like about my sanke fermenter is the weight of it. Cleaning isn’t so bad as I just rinse and do a PBW soak.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I’m thinking a #10 two-holed stopper could be useful here.

Just got mine. Mullerbrau, do you remember what size hole you drilled? I assume you’re talking about the black bucket lid grommet like the replacement ones available from our host?

[quote=“spykeratchet”]Just got mine. Mullerbrau, do you remember what size hole you drilled? I assume you’re talking about the black bucket lid grommet like the replacement ones available from our host?[/quote]Yup, that’s it. Drill a 1/2" hole. I put mine in the center but you might want to consider putting it up higher closer to the o-ring. Only problem there is that it is at an angle.

[quote=“Son of a Kraut”]Anyone figure out a way to do a closed transfer (using C02 to push) with one of these?[/quote]Should work the same way as doing it with a bucket - put a second hole in the lid and push the CO2 hose through a stopper, then push the stopper into the hole. Use a solid stopper to close the hole the rest of the time.

Same here, but I prefer a drilled stopper.

I went ahead and ordered several of these. I also ordered a couple of the 8 gallon ones and I am hoping that I can fit two of those side by side in my fermentation fridge for when I do 5 gallon batches.

I plan to drill the tops with holes and rig blow off tubes like I do my current buckets. I will post picks at some point.

i purchased the 8 gallon, cost 10 to buy plus 10 to ship.

dimensions are about 20 inches high, 12 inches across. lid is similar to a fermenting bucket but is of a soft plastic that has some flexibilty.

i bought it because i was tired of having decide when to use a blown off or to use my thermowell . I prefer to use the thermowell and now have the space to avoid a blow off.

i drilled a hole in the top, inserted the thermowell and the temperature end is 2 inches from the bottom.

the only drawback is no visibility to the fermentation process. i might drill another hole in the top then screw on a clear plastic disk.

[quote=“Waszup”]… the only drawback is no visibility to the fermentation process. i might drill another hole in the top then screw on a clear plastic disk.[/quote]I just unscrew the lid and have a peek when I want to know what’s going on in there. A blanket of CO2 is protecting the beer if you are careful.

That’s not a bad idea. I could take a sniff at the same time :wink: Kidding aside I’d prefer your idea than drilling another hole. Thanks.