2013 Brews

Already Brewed

1. Ol’ Stouty (foreign extra stout with coffee malt)
  2. The Drunken Cookie (Chocolate Oatmeal Stout)
  3. (Non-Galaxy) Galaxy Pale Ale (Pale Ale that is supposed to feature Galaxy hops although they were out.)
  4. ESB with Simpsons Naked Oats
  5. The Nugs (Nugget only IPA)
  6. Cluster Bomb (Stout with rye, a bit of smoked malt, and cluster hops)

And to be brewed in the next week or so:
7. Brooklyn Lager Clone (self explanitory)
8. Redheaded Rye-child (American Amber Ale with Rye)

Should note these are all 2.5 gallon batches with the exception of the Brooklyn Lager Clone.

[quote=“gosioux”]Would the respective brewers mind sharing their “campfire brown” and “key lime wit” recipes???

Thanks[/quote]

5 gallon Recipe:
4lb Pale Ale Malt
4lb Flaked Wheat
12oz Flaked Oats
1.5oz Hallertauer @ 60 min
1oz cracked coriander @ 10 min
zest from 8 key limes @ 1 min
Wyeast 3944

Good recipe. First time using key lime instead of orange peal. It’s still fermenting, so not sure how it tastes yet.

I’m amazed how far ahead some of you plan! I might have an idea what I want to brew within a month, but certainly no more than 1 or 2 in mind.

No plans right now. From a busy January, I have 3 lagers in primary or secondary, and bottled a half batch of gluten free amber recently - and not enough bottles for the 15 gallons of lager. My only goal recently was to get the 3 lager done while the basement is cold enough. So I’ll wait a while before brewing again.

Been doing all one gallon brews this year to add a variety.

Botlled: Irish Draft Ale
Irish Red Ale
Fermenting: Whitehouse Honey Ale
Sierra Madre Pale Ale
Upcoming: Caribou Slobber
Irish Stout
Dead Ringer IPA
Chinook IPA
Cream Ale
Chocolate Pale Ale

[quote=“harpdog”]I’m amazed how far ahead some of you plan! I might have an idea what I want to brew within a month, but certainly no more than 1 or 2 in mind.

No plans right now. From a busy January, I have 3 lagers in primary or secondary, and bottled a half batch of gluten free amber recently - and not enough bottles for the 15 gallons of lager. My only goal recently was to get the 3 lager done while the basement is cold enough.[/quote]

I’ve decided my next batch is going to be a California Common for that same “basement” reason. We have a house that sits on a slab and the previous owner put a small addition on the back but didn’t run the heat vents to it (as the existing ones are poured into the existing slab so they probably didn’t want to/have the money to tear up the slab to tie into them). With the Chicago weather and my carboy sitting on the floor in that room I have had a Irish Red Ale fermenting away at right around 62F for a week and a half. I figure by closing the door to that room I can keep a beer somewhere between 59F-63F.

Now I just need to free up my big carboy and make some time!

Wow I feel like a slacker. I have yet to brew this year. Work and parenthood have been hectic so far this year. I think I am going through withdrawls. I do have everything for a Simcoe ipa and smoked porter waiting for me. My kegs are almost cashed, so I really need to get out there and brew. I think I see a double brew day in my near future. This is what I plan to make this year.

Simcoe ipa
Smoked porter
Amber ale
Kolsch
Zythos pale ale
Ipa
Cream ale

[quote=“GeerBoggles”] With the Chicago weather and my carboy sitting on the floor in that room I have had a Irish Red Ale fermenting away at right around 62F for a week and a half. I figure by closing the door to that room I can keep a beer somewhere between 59F-63F.

Now I just need to free up my big carboy and make some time![/quote]

Hey, I’m in Chicagoland also (Villa Park). I get fermentation in the upper 50’s (ambient temp lower 50’s) in one room of my basement this winter - last year was better, with colder floor convection. I bought a second carboy so I could start these lagers (a Pilsner, a Helles, and a self designed American) 3 weeks apart and finish before mid-March. Hopefully, the upper 50’s temps were OK.

Any recipe will work for BIAB, as long as you don’t use more grain than you can lift out of the pot.

12/29/12 - Bar Harbor Real Ale Clone v 2 (counting as this year just because)
1/1/13 - Lakefront IBA
1/5/13 - Dead Ringer IPA
1/12/13 - Red Fox Lager (Ken’s Home Run Red)
1/20/13 - Maibock Lager
1/26/13 - Surly Bender
2/2/13 - American Eagle Amber Ale [10 gallon batch brewed for 2 year anniversary of brewing] (Denny’s Waldo Lake Amber)
2/2/13 - Eagle Amber IPA - 1.75 gallon “kitchen sink” batch of IPA brewed on the fly from final runnings of amber ale, bit of final runnings of Surly Bender, partial oz’s of hops, etc.
2/23/13 - Mint Double Chocolate stout

Coming up:

Blueberry Ale or Blueberry wheat - still deciding
Racer 5 or Dogfish Head 60 min clone
Munich Helles (for a community party in the fall)
Octoberfest (for a community party in the fall)
Czech Pils

Kolsch
Irish Red
Celebration Clone
Red Chair Clone
Halycon
House Pale Ale
IPA of some sort…

Thats as far ahead I thought

Have you used blueberries before?
We have a surplus of frozen that I would like to use. I’ve heard they can get lost pretty easy.

Have brewed:
Number 8: bottled
Belgian golden strong: bottled
Dark mild: in secondary
California common: in secondary
Barley Wine: in primary a few more days.

I have an old ale, a few RIS, a few smoked porter, few saison, few IPA, and double IPA. Maybe a few other misc beers.

At this point, I think a Belgian IPA will be my last brew until spring or summer. I’ll soon be out of space for beer and it’ll be time to drink it. I’d like to maybe brew a honey kolsh before it gets too warm.

I’ve brewed a lot of beer in December last year so I started off slow this year. So far this year I’ve done the following: (22 gal batches)

Cream Ale
Rye IPA
Two Hearted Ale

And in the next 4 weeks:

Java Stout
Smoked Porter
Red Chair IPA

Just started up after a 6 month sabbatical:

Today: Big Red Fred (American Amber, thick mash)

Soon: Oatmeal stout, a Winter Wheat and an English Rye.

Have you used blueberries before?
We have a surplus of frozen that I would like to use. I’ve heard they can get lost pretty easy.[/quote]

No, this would be only my second fruit beer, the first was an apricot ale using purée and extract. Similar plan for this.

oatmeal robust porter
cherry chocolate oatmeal robust porter
wheat/oat IPA (columbus/cascade/amarillo/calypso)

Irish Whiskey Red - 1/1/13
blonde
india red ale
IPA
Southern English Brown
American brown
Helles
Dark Mild
American Amber
IPA 2/24/13

All 6.5 gallon batches

been a solid year so far

-Bloody Valentine (Raspberry Chocolate) Sweet Stout
-Faux CAP
-Covert Premium Bitter
-Ned Rye-erson Groundhog RyPA
-Lumberyard 80/-
-Biere de Mars

on deck:
-Helles
-CAP

1. house amber x2 for 10gal
  2. arrogant bastard clone
  3. rye PA
  4. old Rasputin clone
  5. black ipa

Planned

1. belgian dubbel
  2. doppelbock
  3. vanilla porter
  4. Cali common

Recently got back into brewing. I’ve got 30 gallons clearing.

2 - Coopers IPA LME kits
2 - Coopers Pilsner LME kits
1 - True Brew Pale Ale partial mash
1 - Surly Bitter Brewer partial mash - first NB kit.

One of my biggest issues with brewing beer is where to keep everything. I own 8 mini-kegs and about 400 bottles. Recently purchased 8 24/per crates from CW Crates. Good purchase. Looks much better than the mis-matched coke racks. Will be tearing down and cleaning the 8 mini-kegs over the next month or so. Moving the freezer into the spare room after a remodel and will be converting to a kegerator.

I plan to bottle the first 10 gallons on Thursday of next week - about a week early. Company coming and I need to make some room.

Home brewing really makes you realize how small your house is.