2-Step mash vs single infusion

What is the likely difference in results obtained by a single infusion at 146-148F compared to a hold at 144-145, followed by another at 156-158? Would the 2-step result in a more fermentable wort? What

Probably not much difference depends on how long you keep it at the 145. Personally I would just do the single infusion at the lower temperature and take a walk if your looking for a more fermentable wort. 158 for a less fermentable wort.

So I dabble with a 2 step mash… often…
My final gravities are a bit lower… Doesn’t mean it makes a better brew… Perhaps you just play with the mash temps… tell us what you discover… ?
Sneezles61

Me been playing. With it a few time. Dont see any difference. Real much. Maybe. I need to play. More with. Different. Temps.

With electric… I put my grist in at 120F when I did my Bock… at 35% power… it took just over an hour to raise to 158F… Re-circ the whole time… Like I stated, my final gravities are a bit lower…
Sneezles61

Well that makes sense because by time your temperature got to 158 conversation was completed at the lower temperature. If you kept the mash constant at 145 probably get the same result. Different methods same result. I actually always had trouble with the wort being to fermentable. The way I do it now gets better results. Single infusion start a bit high and let it drop through the zone.

Of course we have to consider the pH of the wort in the discussion as well

1 Like

Yes… pH I believe has been a part of my lower FG… Before I did any real monitoring of my mash pH, my finals ended at 1.010+…
So what does that mean for us home brewers?
You use less barley in your recipe? about a handful…?
OR maybe its just cool to be a bit nerdy…?
Less of the off flavors?
Better short term clearing?
Better yeast health for re-pitching?
There are few more… but does it really matter? I say yes.
Sneezles61

The only time I do a step mash is when I brew my Hefeweizen every spring. Recipe calls for rest at 122 for 20 mins then up to 150 for an hour. Infusion calc usually puts me a bit lower on temp than I’d like, but it has turned out well both times I have tried it. I use a bit of melanoidin in place of the traditional decoction because I figure if I have trouble with the step mash, I’m not even gong to attempt decoction. :joy:

For all other recipes, depending on where I want them to finish, I shoot for 155ish for mash in, winter I’ll drop 4-5 degrees over course of mash, summer, stays pretty steady.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Gotta look, but I thought Beta-Amylase denatured above 154F… So perhaps alot of mash schedules use 152F… best of both worlds?
Sneezles61

What is wrong with .010 ? Most beer styles would be in that range anyway

Nothing wrong with a bit higher FG…
My comparison is from my brews… :peace:
Sneezles61