1st batch AG - got just a few questions left

I am gearing up to do my 1st AG batch brew. I realize that I have just a few questions that I don’t know.

-All the kit instructions that I have as well as the “how to brew” stuff talks about a number of mash steps but it seems the batch system simplifies this to two. First and second batch. Does this mean that there is no “mash out”?

• it seems that water temp is somewhat unimportant and thus just get it to boiling and put it in no matter what the step.

I seem to be a bit hazy about how long each batch sits. It seems 90 min for the 1st and the second I have no idea.

-I am assuming you just put the grain in the cooler, pour in the hot water, stir well, and then close up the cooler and dont touch it till the end of the mash.

-once you run off the last of the wort, I assume I just boil for 60 min just as usual in the extract kits I have already done.

I am making waaay to many asumptions here so I obviosly need a hand.

Thanks for the help,
Barry

You’ll see this posted all over this forum. For all things batch sparge, just read Denny’s how to. He really makes it easy to understand.

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

I beleive you will find that Denny does not answer the questions I am asking. I am not just asking for spoon feeding here I have the rest of the process down I think. I have spent quite some time reading here online and ask only the things I just havent found yet.

[quote=“Vulkin’”]I am gearing up to do my 1st AG batch brew. I realize that I have just a few questions that I don’t know.

-All the kit instructions that I have as well as the “how to brew” stuff talks about a number of mash steps but it seems the batch system simplifies this to two. First and second batch. Does this mean that there is no “mash out”?
There is no mash out. You might need to do a small infusion after the mash but before running off if you are trying to get equal 1st and 2nd runnings. That infusion will get you nowhere near mash out temp (170*)

• it seems that water temp is somewhat unimportant and thus just get it to boiling and put it in no matter what the step.
    Strike water temp is pretty important IMO
    I seem to be a bit hazy about how long each batch sits. It seems 90 min for the 1st and the second I have no idea.
    60 minutes is long enough for 99% of all mashes. Then go as fast as you can for the 2nd runoff
    -I am assuming you just put the grain in the cooler, pour in the hot water, stir well, and then close up the cooler and dont touch it till the end of the mash.
    Put the water in first, slightly (5-10*)over your desired temperature, let it lose some of the heat into the cooler, preheating/ warming up the insulation. Then add your grain. Makes much less doughballs.
    -once you run off the last of the wort, I assume I just boil for 60 min just as usual in the extract kits I have already done.
    Yup

I am making waaay to many asumptions here so I obviosly need a hand.

Thanks for the help,
Barry[/quote]

Ugh…just typed a long response then Scott answered it better…

Another good resource for getting a feel of the process is Youtube. I watched a few videos there before my first time and it really helped with my confidence.

Thanks for the help, homebrewers are a great community!

You have me down to one last question I think. So the directions for the Cream Ale Iam brewing is 150 for 60 min and 170 for 10 min. Just get aas close to those even though i am useing a different mash method correct?

Barry

Your mash temperature is your mash temperature, no matter what method you are using. This is the temperature needed to create the sugars that control the fermentability of your wort. The only thing that you are changing is your sprage method, or how you rinse the grains. Getting the temperature up to 170 will stop the conversion to sugar, but as Scott was saying, you will probably not infuse with enough water before your first runnings to get up to that temp.

Again thanks. I “think” I’m ready. I might spend tommorow (as my starter runs) youtubing.

Barry

[quote=“Vulkin’”]So the directions for the Cream Ale Iam brewing is 150 for 60 min and 170 for 10 min. Just get aas close to those even though i am useing a different mash method correct?[/quote]A mashout is not needed when batch-sparging since you will be dumping the wort to the kettle and heating it immediately as opposed to fly-sparging where the wort will be sitting in the MT for much longer.

I like to heat my water to 190-200. Add that to the cooler and allow the temp to drop to 160. Then add the grain (~65-70).

This seem to get me to a temp of 150.

Let it set for 60 minutes. recirculate and drain into a pail. Add the rest of the pre boil water (~190, never had the grain reach much above 160). Dump 1st runnings into the boil kettle and then drain the mash tun.

Boil as usual.