What’s Brewin’?

Got back from vacation on the 4th and got my two beers kegged. I forced the IPA and keg conditioned the brown using 123 g of brown sugar about the 8th. I finally got it tapped last night. It was nicely carbonated and I think it has picked up a bit of flavor from the brown sugar. It has an interesting sweetness, almost a hint of root beer. I think I kinda like it? :neutral_face:

I’ve done a New castle clone that uses brown sugar as part of the fermentables list… It always had that “old” new castle flavor… Nice drinkable brew…
Sneezles61

I did an experiment with priming 20 years ago. Primed with a number of things, including table and brown sugar. Not a single taster could tell the difference or expressed a preference.

3 Likes

Got my new system connected and ready to roll. Working up a Mexican Lager for the first brew day! Hopefully Wednesday! Could be interesting since I’ve only done a water run.

2 Likes

I use lactose in this recipe and increased it from 4 oz to 6 oz this time. Perhaps that is what did it.

1 Like

Got my first batch bottled friday. The Block Party Amber.

2 Likes

Maybe. Remember, my test was a data point, not a conclusion. Just like Brulosophy and everyone else.

2 Likes

I made a “Marzen” on sunday. Woke up Monday morning and temp control on my chest freezer is on the fritz! The wort was around 38 degrees with no activity. I pulled it out to get it up to 50 and it finally started being active yesterday. Looked at I when I got home from work today and I was around 56 almost to 58 on the thermometer! Ah. I just put the freezer back on for a little while. There are two full kegs in there with the fermenting bucket so they are aiding in keeping it steady. Hope the warmer temp didnt bitch this. The yeast is imperial que bueno rated to 55 degrees.

2 Likes

I nearly froze it again the morning!! All the starsan in the airlock was frozen when I woke up. Haha its back to temp and still fermenting. Should be interesting to see how this goes

2 Likes

Not optimal because it might stress your yeast and it may stall. I think it’s better than getting to warm though

It’s back at 48 and chugging along…

Brewing a Hef today. I also have a pick up scheduled at the LHBS for and IPA grain bill. Glad my guy is still open!

4 Likes

Kegged a Vienna lager today tomorrow I’m going to put together an IPA. I have nugget, chinnok and Cascade. I have citra as well so I think I may split up the 10lbs of 2-row for two batches then add a little wheat and make up the difference with what I have. I’ll take inventory latter and come up with a plan for using what I have.

3 Likes

Taking another shot at a hallertau blanc lager today. First one was good but I over did it with the hops. Also finally getting to use my hydra immersion chiller from jaded.

Moved into a big housing development last month, lots of people going for walks today. Someone just asked what I was making and I tried to convince them I was making a 5 gallon batch of DayQuil for personal use. They had a good laugh but weren’t biting. Good to know not everyone has lost their minds.

3 Likes

American IPA. A little Centennial and little more Centennial

3 Likes

Where you been hiding? Just. Finished up my centennial in my I-solation PA

1 Like

I just been really busy lately with work is all. But i managed to get a few brews in. Tomorrow is Kolsch with Japanese twist

I’m sure there’s a twist

No fruit just Rice and Sorachi ace . Here lately i just been wanting almost traditional styles with my twist but nothing to crazy lately

1 Like

@damian_winter Rice flake or Koji inoculated rice?

This just arrived. Mecca Grade Lamonta American Pale Malt

4 Likes