What’s Brewin’?

Flaked rice in this one. But i got some koji and jasmine rice for some sours i will be doing next week.

1 Like

I just made our host’s Kama Citra but I’m going to use Oslo this time which is a bottom fermenting lager like strain in the Kveik family.

I LOVE that stuff! Currently have nearly 500 lb. of various Mecca Grade on hand!

2 Likes

It was your recommendation that made me seek Mecca Grade out.

1 Like

Wow. $85 per sack at midwest. That’s some high class malt.

Malt snobs

8 Likes

That musta took a few trips… Now… Does life still begin at 60…1.060?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Isolation PA .02

1 Like

Knot Today- FINALLY! :partying_face:

2 Likes

Now that I’m nearly 70, I may have to change that!

5 Likes

So when your 80 you will only drink Barley wine?

2 Likes

Brewed up a Session IPA today. Dialing in the new system.

Here’s some pics

10 Likes

so nice

1 Like

She’s a thing of beauty @loopie_beer, hopefully no hiccups on your inaugural batch!

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I will say, the element in the kettle has a tendency to scorch sugars… Monitoring the power to the element helps to eliminate that… I see you have a computerized controller… Maybe that will tend to that…
Did I mention that rye will scorch at a lower temp? I’ll be interested in what you find out as you brew… I wouldn’t go back propane… NEVER!!
Sneezles61

Brewed a Hef today, FINALLY. :innocent: While were brewing, the UPS man showed up with 100# grain order from our host! :slight_smile: Here’s what I got. (Thankfully they sent me uncrushed Melanoidin. Smart follks!):

3 Likes

Thanks! It was actually my second batch. First was last week and was a Mexican lager that I’m going to push out for Cinco de Mayo. I know not much lagering time.
Anything wood will be replaced by SS that my buddy is welding up. Also got some pipe supports now for the chiller/O2. They actually came as I was brewing so I slapped them on. That’s why the wood support in the picture with all the tubing is gone!
@sneezles61 I LOVE the electric. No worries about running out of gas, or even going to get gas. No longer having to take tons of stuff out. It was 35° first time I brewed, and I was inside wearing shorts! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I remember your woes with scorching especially with the rye. These are ULWD elements so hopefully that doesn’t happen. Its weird having to set a percentage to boil rather than turning a gas valve. I think I’ll get used to it though. :wink:

5 Likes

Tomorow. Gonna do a neipa. By friday pick up new grains. Cleaning. Product. Hops. Dme. Brewing salts.

1 Like

My Spring and Summer IPA
Og 1.060
Fg 1.014
IBU 73
ABV 5.9
Grain bill
7 LBS Pale 2-row
3 LBS Vienna
1.25 lbs White Wheat
.60 Lbs Carapils
Hop bill
.078 oz Bravo 60 minutes addition
.075 oz Centennial 20 min addition
.50 oz Azacca Whirlpool addition
.50 oz Simcoe Whirlpool addition
.50 oz Citra Whirlpool addition
1.5 oz Mosaic Dry hop addition 5 days
1.5 oz Citra Dry hop addition 5 days
1 oz Azacca Dry hop addition 5 days
Yeast Us-04 Fermentation temperature 68 Degrees
I been brewing this recipe for quite a few years and it never last long so I brew it multiple times all Spring and summer long. The Vienna malt gives it a little bready back bone which is nice and really compliments the Passionfruit, Citrus and Pineapple aroma and flavors.

6 Likes

Mosaic will be interesting in there with it piney resinous quality