What’s Brewin’?

(Finally)Sneaking in a Hefeweizen on a short work afternoon; Monday brewing…who knew?

Brewed a Pilsner last Tuesday and a Gose over Saturday/Sunday. Kegged an ESB today. Spent the day cleaning the conical and cleaning kegs.

Brewed a dopplebock that will go into the oak barrel in 10 days after I rack off the imperial Porter

Me tomorow a imperial stout. If i can find propane today

My next up… A new twist to my ESB… Cant do this W/E… I’m prepping for the following… I got some carastan dark malt… I’ll use it to 30% of my grain bill… Sneezles61

I’ll be bottling a Caribou Slobber in a few days. Chinook IPA and Dead Ringer IPA bottled last week. Coming in two days the Bavarian Hefeweizen. This time with WY 3068. Couple days later Midnight Porter.

Just ordered Witbeir and Speckled Heifer.

Wow you will have quite a nice selection for the spring !

Got to say got big plans this weekend for brewing. Doing a Scottish ale with floor malted bohemian dark pilsner and WLP028 Edinburgh yeast Friday. Then Saturday brewing a Irish red with a mix of marris otter and the bohemian dark and WLP004 Irish Ale Yeast. Then on Sunday brewing Bohemian dunkel with the bohemian dark and WLP802 Czech Budejovice yeast.

1 Like

Great day today! Knocked out a 5 gallon NEIPA and 10 gallon (based on Black Rocks 51K) IPA. My son showed up just in time to help me lift 14 gallons of wort onto the burner thank goodness! (Note to self: Build a brew stand soon!) Going to do 5 gallons of the son’s rye recipe tomorrow. Love that stuff so can’t wait! Still waiting for the honeymoon to end with this hobby but it just seems to keep getting better. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

It never gets better. NEVER. :unamused:

Edited to add: doing a DIPA this weekend. Dank and resinous rather than tropical.

1 Like

Hops?

Don’t go there Unc… :confounded: Sneezles61

I have a Vienna lager and a big ass porter…and a load of galaxy and Nelson sauvin hops to make an ipa…just waiting for time…hopefully Sunday I can knock out the Vienna…

ESB, got some carastan malt to try… going to keep the ABV down , I hope.
10 gallons to the fermenter;
pH adjustment, 5.9, pre strike water
16 pounds pale malt
3 pounds carastan
3 oz chocolate wheat
1.5 oz German Hercules …(?) 18% to the boil
1 tbs calcium chloride
After primary fermentation done, 3 oz cascade 6.8%
Target SG of 1.053, at 80% efficiency.
009 yeast.
mmmmmmmm beer… Sneezles61
OK pre-boil at 1.048… I also had UK progress for bittering…

What hop combo in the NEIPA?

Sorry, sleeping at the switch. We used an oz. of Summit as FWH this time, I’ll report back on how that worked out compared to the Magnum we usually use. For the rest of it, we use an ounce of Amarillo, Simcoe, and Mosaic at 1 minute, whirlpool, and 7 day DH. Here’s the whole discussion on the recipe where I got some great advice: Neipa?

For my personal taste the FWH of an oz. of Magnum works although it may not be to your liking. On a side note, you’ve already probably read that the word on the street is NEIPAs are highly susceptible to oxidation and I think I can confirm this. We lost about 3/4 of a keg to oxidation (beer turned purple) because I think I didn’t purge my keg well enough with CO2 on the fill. This batch will have a well purged keg and be transferred under CO2 presssure to avoid that.

I may have said this before so sorry if repeating,
Columbus works well for bittering and goes really well with Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial and Cascade for American IPAs.
And, it is very inexpensive. It is my goto bittering hop and I grow it now in my back yard (along with Chinook, Cascade and Centennial).

If you use it for Flavoring and Aroma, you end up with Dank (which some people like).

&:wink:

2 Likes

Going to brew my version of alagash cruieux tomorrow with some harvested Ardennes yeast

So doing the Vienna lager tomorrow.

Bought a bunch of Vienna malt for this but need to buy some time.

Did the DIPA today. Used Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, and Simcoe hops.

Also working on several other recipes. Not enough time really!

1 Like