What’s Brewin’?

I like the idea of a second batch of yeast but wouldn’t starting with only 1/3 of the starter be a severe under-pitch? or would the 2/3-plus a week later clean up any off flavors from that?

If he’s using unhealthy yeast then yeah I would be concerned. But fresh yeast with a 2 stage starter should be fine. And I certainly wouldn’t only pitch a third. If you’re really worried you could hit it with O2 again after the first day of fermentation or feed it yeast nutrient during fermentation. But really, I think you’re fine. My RIS is 10.5% ABV and I just pitch 2 packages of US-05. No fermentation issues.

My way… Yeast just getting off to the battle ahead… Consuming mass quantities of sugar… Stands a better chance to keep budding… I’ll agree, old,tired, unhealthy yeast… Isn’t worth the time and money you got into this brew…
Week later pitching, fresh… vibrant yeast will help bring the FG down further… I wouldn’t pitch too much later… Sneezles61

Here’s the scotch ale. I. Initially I had a regular s-type airlock on it. About 12 hours after pitching I realized bad things were about to happen. Luckily I was able to switch to a blow off tube before the inevitable eruption.

2 Likes

Couple weeks ago was a Raspberry Cheesecake Beer. Tomorrow I’m doing a grapefruit wheat. Saw some grapefruit juice at the store and figured why not…

Shooting for a Saturday brew day with some friends over to help

Beer Name: Laces Front

Recipe specifics:

Style: New England IPA
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.019
Bitterness (IBU): 42.3
Color (SRM): 6.3
ABV: 7.6%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Golden Promise Malt, 38.7%
6.00 lb Two-row (US), 38.7%
3.00 lb Flaked Oats, 19.4%
0.50 lb White Wheat, 3.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Warrior (AA 14.3%, Pellet) 60 min, 42.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 7.9%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Azacca (AA 13.8%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz El Dorado (AA 16.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 7.9%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Azacca (AA 13.8%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Bru 1 (AA 15.7%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz El Dorado (AA 16.0%, Pellet) dry hop

1st dry hop 2 days into active fermentation
2nd dry hop at kegging
Wyeast 1318

1 Like

On the boil of a continental amber lager today. Got to keep those fermenters full, after all!

2 Likes

Brewed up my annual batch of BVIP yesterday. :innocent: I need to find time between all the holiday prep to get Festivus Miracle done as well.

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

The constant juggle of family, brewing, drinking, hunting, fishing, and work…in that order. I need to be brewing more often.

3 Likes

I just harvested the yeast out of 5 gallons of Kolsch and started a 2 gallon batch of Cider made from store bought juice and a cup of brown sugar. The Cider is to keep my son out of my beer! :+1:

3 Likes

10 minutes to go in the mash for a Saison. Did a rest at 125 for 15 minutes then raised to 156 for an hour. LHBS was out of Saaz so substituted Sterling.

1 Like

I just kegged an IPA and an Alt Bier. Measured the grains for a pseudo Vienna lager and a new beer called a Potsdam stangebier. Gonna try the brew tomorrow

Is that out of BYO?

Yes I had the ingredients except the hops subbing lemon drop hops

Brewing a lager today with hallertau blanc. Going to throw 3oz in with 15 min left in the boil. Beersmith says that will give me about 35 ibus. If its anything like the beer that inspired this recipe it should be amazing.

no bittering? Just a 15 min addition?

That’s my plan, but I’m open to suggestions.

Can’t say I’ve done it or would but I guess it depends on what you’re going for. All IBUs are not equal. 35 IBU of late addition hops, 15 min is generally considered flavor hops, will not have much bittering impact on the grist bill, leaving it pretty malt focused.

What’s the grist bill?

10 lbs- oils
1 lb - vienna
4 oz- acid
4 oz- c-10
I’ve made this before and its a pretty simple international lager

Yea? With that hop schedule? Interesting.