What’s Brewin’?

yea the grist could be anything driven by the hops. I’ve only recently brewed a NEIPA without a 60 min bittering charge. Never considered it on other styles. Even when I do FWH I’ll do a bittering addition.

Maybe I should think outside the box more but right now I’m enjoying pretty bitter pislner and IPAs the most so…

The first time around had a similar hop schedule. I had to adjust the boil time and quantity due to the higher alpha acid in hallertau blanc.
Hopefully it will turn out, I’ve got a few tried and true beers on deck so I’m willing to roll the dice here.

2 Likes

Brewing a witbier this morning. Basically a Hoegaarden clone without the coriander and orange because I forgot to buy an orange.

1 Like

This was my Black Friday purchase from NB. It was a great deal. Excited to try

what is it?

8.5g SS fermenter marked to a low low $99.99 Fancy Bucket

2 Likes

That is a fancy bucket. I like the idea of stainless fermenters, a lot. Interesting size.

2 Likes

Yeh interesting size for sure. Might be great for a high gravity 15 gallon biab where you bottle a few gallons and then keg the rest. Jealous!

8.5 is a weird size. which is probably why NB discounted them. Since I bottle I can deal with a little more than the 5 g volume

I imagine 8.5 g would be perfect for a quarter barrel brew plus a little head space

I’ve been using 2 of them for quite a while now… I am thoroughly pleased. I did alter mine so I could push beer out with CO2. Sneelzes61

1 Like

What was the modification?

Yes… Silver soldered a 1/2" spud where the air locker sits. Sneezles61

Today I brewed my annual Kriek using Wyeasts Lambic blend. This is the 4th year in a row. I still have a few bottles from the first year which was the best still. Frustrating. Living things not always predictable let alone each year’s cherries.

3 Likes

Nice brew session yesterday. Did a blond ale. Did add the last. 10min orange zest. And add 1 liter of fresh orange juice as well. Mix of orange. And saaz hops. Now time to move to the brew area see if fermenting started. But the most fun part. My brew buddy. Back on island. Did not see him for 2 months. Nice talk. New music. And more than a few beers. Beer drinking started. Once flame out arived. So no mistakes. Having to much beer.

3 Likes

Brewing an IPA today. Went back to my old IPA grist bill and tweaked it a bit. This is for 11 gals at 80% efficiency.

21.5 lbs 2 row
1.75 lbs wheat malt
1.5 lbs c40
.5 acidulated malt

Bittered with magnum, lots of centennial hops FWH, 5 mins, 2 mins, and whirlpool.

I’ll pitch a high K starter of 1056.

1 Like

Pretty basic. Should do the job.

Sometimes simple is the way to go.

Somebody gave me 6# of 2017 harvest Michigan Copper so going to riff on the Experimental Blonde/APA with 'em.

1 Like

You’ll have fun! 6 lbs going in one brew… ? :smiley: Sneezles61

Absolutely!!!

LOL Nah, just enough to get a good feel for the flavor and aroma they bring to the table. Besides, I already gave 3# to some of my brewing buddies.

1 Like