New product- Fast Pitch

Just got my catalog from our host and saw a new product. It’s a can of extract that you mix with a pint of water, no boiling, for a one liter starter. I swear, as lazy as I am, I can’t believe it. I’m almost curious, though. Although, it makes me wonder what would happen if you mixed some DME in water without boiling to make a starter.

Eh, I’ll just stick to making a light session ale as my five gallon starter.

I had to dig out the catalog because I could not find it with a search at the online version or even Google. It is a great idea to cut down on the time to make a starter but you still have to sanitize everything so there still is some time involved.

It would be nice to have a couple of cans around just for those days when you want to get a starter going but really don’t feel like doing it.

Cost wise when it’s $8 and three pounds of extra light DME is $12 you do pay for someone else to do the work and package the stuff.

Bottom line is I like it.

1 Like

Just saw this in the catalog I got in the mail yesterday. At first, I was intrigued. But, if you’re making a 2L starter (I rarely make anything smaller), you need two cans of Fast Pitch. That’s $16. Plus a vial/pack of yeast, which is another $7. So $23 for a 2L starter? Depending on the beer, that could be equal to the price of the grain/hop bill, or close to it. I can buy a few pounds of DME for $13 and get several starters out of that.

You can make up your own wort, to have on hand, if you have a pressure canner. Purchasing a pressure canner, just to make up starter worts, might not be practical since the larger pressure canners are well over $100.

We are definitely excited for this product to officially launch. It will be sooner than later, watch for an email on it.

We did forget to mention though, the $7.99 price is actually for a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans. We have had fun playing with them here.
If you have more questions about the Fast Pitch, or any other product, feel free to email us at brewmaster@NorthernBrewer.com

Cheers,
Todd J

Neat idea and a great way to get folks just getting going in brewing familiar starters. Like the idea of being lazy but like Grizzly mentioned my starters are bigger too since I brew 10 gallon batches. Would love the convenience of canned wort but the work to make that happen precludes doing it.

Reality is when I’m feeling lazy or run out of time I pitch dry yeast.

[quote=“NB CS-TJ”]We are definitely excited for this product to officially launch. It will be sooner than later, watch for an email on it.

We did forget to mention though, the $7.99 price is actually for a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans. We have had fun playing with them here.
If you have more questions about the Fast Pitch, or any other product, feel free to email us at brewmaster@NorthernBrewer.com

Cheers,
Todd J[/quote]

Huh… that price takes it from “Interesting gimmick” to “Impulse buy, I’ll try this” territory.

Yep! 4 pack for $8, now you’re talking. I think it’s a great idea. That said, I’ve really taking a liking to dry yeast and the stuff has really progressed to a point that I think most are on par with the liquid strains.

Seems like unseeded effort for the marketing of “convenience”.

Maybe I could buy a six pack of IPA and skip the brewing altogether?

[quote=“Grizz Talker”]Seems like unseeded effort for the marketing of “convenience”.

Maybe I could buy a six pack of IPA and skip the brewing altogether?[/quote]

Do you also think this about fully automated electric breweries? What about people who buy their hops instead of growing their own? Brewing is different things to different people.

I personally loathe making starters. If I can mix a can of something into some water and pour the yeast in and get it on the stir plate in a couple minutes I think this is worth the money in time saved.

Actually Matt, at the homebrew level, I do feel this way. Its not feasible to brew 10bbls by ‘hand’ but 5-10gal batches can be. Although, I do see what you’re saying.

I don’t think this is gimmicky per se. I could see myself using it in a pinch. Might be nice to have on hand in case you run out of DME.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/fast ... oming-soon

Estimated shipping date is 6/27.

Actually Matt, at the homebrew level, I do feel this way. Its not feasible to brew 10bbls by ‘hand’ but 5-10gal batches can be. Although, I do see what you’re saying.[/quote]

For me I do think it would take the fun out of it and turn it more into a “process” than a “hobby” but I don’t think people who have such a system are victims of the marketing of convenience. They chose to spend many thousands of dollars on their brew rig and if it makes them happy and brings someone new to the hobby I’m all for it.

Ah, the fact that it’s $8 for a 4-pack makes it much more viable, cost-wise. Now I’m intrigued again.

And I would think you wouldn’t even need a pressure canner, if you already have Mason Jars for collecting yeast, and maybe you also do preserves or can veggies from the garden you could probably just do the same with some premade wort.

Danger… You cannot can non-acidic sugary products without using a pressure canner. Using any method that just brings it to boiling temperatures opens it up for botulism contamination, which can kill you. Don’t try this with wort, unless you use a pressure canner.

…end of public service announcement.

OK, enough, I work in the business of building buildings and there are ALL kinds of ideas to get a job done faster and cheaper. That said, the younger peeps coming in and up are all about speed. Makes me so bewildered…. Just because you can get to the end faster doesn’t mean you’ll get it done right… Geez, Ive seen you can open a brewery using all extract…. I beg to differ, it AINT your brewery,its some one else with a twist. This could be a thing for new comers, yet knowing the way to get from field to stein, to me this is self efficiency for my way to brew Sneezles61 :roll:

[quote=“porkchop”]Danger… You cannot can non-acidic sugary products without using a pressure canner. Using any method that just brings it to boiling temperatures opens it up for botulism contamination, which can kill you. Don’t try this with wort, unless you use a pressure canner.

…end of public service announcement.[/quote]
Beat me to it.

I love my pressure canner and preserve all kinds of stuff. And make starter wort.

[quote=“BrewingRover”][quote=“porkchop”]Danger… You cannot can non-acidic sugary products without using a pressure canner. Using any method that just brings it to boiling temperatures opens it up for botulism contamination, which can kill you. Don’t try this with wort, unless you use a pressure canner.

…end of public service announcement.[/quote]
Beat me to it.

I love my pressure canner and preserve all kinds of stuff. And make starter wort.[/quote]
And its no joke. A month ago a church about 20 mins from me had a potluck. Someone brought meat that wasn’t properly canned. 1 died, 24 hospitalized, and 4 remain in serious condition in speciality hospitals. Not something to mess with.

Do you purchase vials or smack packs of yeast?