New product- Fast Pitch

Yes I do, and culture them…… I haven’t tried to find HOW to start yeast and probably not going to take a step backwards… Yes I did start using extract, again may be a place to start… I can’t imagine going back to extract after many years AG……Sneezles61 :cheers:

So you make all the wort for your starters out of grain?

I would hazard a guess that 80% of us that make starters just use dry extract for the wort. I don’t see how this product is very much different except for it’s slightly more convenient.

I only did 1 extract batch before going to all grain. For similar reasons to your feelings about building I suppose. (Handcrafted, etc.) But I would use this product for starters and not feel like I was cheapening my process since I already use dry extract when I make a starter anyway.

For people who brew every weekend, I could see them grabbing some 2nd runnings for their following weekends starters, but most people don’t brew quite that often.

I’m a bit late to the party, but this product seems like a good idea to me. It’s not hard or all that time consuming, but making starters is a bit of a nuisance for me at this point. Next time I place an order with NB, this will be an add on given the price of $2.00 per can.

I really don’t understand this attitude. How does making a starter from malt extract and water make you more of a homebrewer? Malt extract itself is a shortcut from making wort from grain. Should we look down on people who don’t make starters from grain? pre-made wort in a can for a starter is a far cry from “just buying a 6-pack”. This isn’t like a shortcut to good beer or anything. Are you going to drink a damn good beer from a homebrewer that spent half a day doing a triple decoction and say “well you used pre-canned wort for your starter…no wonder this tastes so good you cheater!”

I really don’t understand this attitude. How does making a starter from malt extract and water make you more of a homebrewer? Malt extract itself is a shortcut from making wort from grain. Should we look down on people who don’t make starters from grain? pre-made wort in a can for a starter is a far cry from “just buying a 6-pack”. This isn’t like a shortcut to good beer or anything. Are you going to drink a damn good beer from a homebrewer that spent half a day doing a triple decoction and say “well you used pre-canned wort for your starter…no wonder this tastes so good you cheater!”[/quote]
We should be tilling the field, planting the barley, harvesting and malting it. Planting the hops, harvesting them and drying them. Using heat from wood we chopped for the mash… you get the picture.

Do as little or as much as you want. We are in this for the fun. Oh and the beer. I am impressed with people that do as much of the process as possible. I have no problem with someone that uses a pre hopped kit and just boils it either.

$8 for a four pack does make this sound like a better idea than I first thought. I would need all four for a typical batch size at my house though.

At $2 per can the pricing isn’t totally off and I’ll probably pick up a four pack on my next order just to try them out.

My question though is this really anything other than LME in a soda can?

hold on there bubba louie… I wasn’t looking down on any one. I started extract first also, and it seems as though there is getting more products out there that with snap open a package and its almost done for us…. I am in the camp of, with these two hands I can do most anything…. and the younger generation isn’t… IMHO…. wasn’t snubbing… Sneezles61 :blah:

No harm no foul. As long as we are enjoying it.

I can wort, 7 mason jars at a time, and it takes very little effort or work to do it safely. That said, next time I order from NB, I will pick some of this up. This product would be pretty handy in a pinch (or should I get lazy). Making starters is a PIA, and this is another approach to make it easier.

Seems like a brilliant idea for a product. My only concern would be adding un-santitzed tap water. I’d want to boil and cool my tap water to this, which is still easier than making a full starter, but not quite as easy as I’d like it to be.

It takes me almost an hour to make a 2L starter, including time to clean my kitchen, sanitize everything, etc. If I could reduce that, sign me up.

[quote=“Wahoo”]Seems like a brilliant idea for a product. My only concern would be adding un-santitzed tap water. I’d want to boil and cool my tap water to this, which is still easier than making a full starter, but not quite as easy as I’d like it to be.

It takes me almost an hour to make a 2L starter, including time to clean my kitchen, sanitize everything, etc. If I could reduce that, sign me up.[/quote]
I hear you about the tap water, but I doubt it’s a problem. It is the same process as an extract brew. When I was doing extract batches, every one of them was topped off from the tap, or worse, from the ice maker. First, if your tap water was that bad, you’d have larger concerns for your own health. Second you’re pitching ~100Billion cells; so the yeast is sure to dominate. Key difference between this and a 5-gallon extract brew; much less tap water, resulting in a much higher pitch rate. Logically, if it’s safe for extract Brewers, it’s even less risky here.

I usually keep a growler of Star San from the previous batch. I figure drop the puck in the flask, pour in the Star San. Wait a couple minutes. Dump. Add wort, water, yeast. Activate stir plate. 5 minutes; most of which is being over cautious about adequate Star San contact time.

Non-stir plate users could probably just get a large bottle of water from the grocery store, and pour off the appropriate amount to drink. Then add the wort and yeast directly to the bottle. It was likely manufactured to be sterile, at least on the inside.

Except that when I am making a starter, I’m trying to grow yeast, not make beer. The conditions are different. And so, a small amount of bacteria in a starter, over time, can have a much bigger affect on the end product (and subsequent brews, since I harvest and re-pitch) than top off water.

Yeah, so I’m necro’ing a thread that’s been dead for a while. It was 10:05 when I realized I hadn’t done my starter for tomorrow. It is 10:15 and I whipped up a new 5 gallon batch of Star San and have a starter going on the Stirplate. I got a 4 pack of Fast Pitch with my last order. Depending on how this turns out, I will likely never make a starter wort again. It would have very easily been midnight before I got everything up and ready to get a proper starter wort chilled out to pitch yeast. This is just too easy. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

What is the gravity on the can? Sneezles61

Gravity is 1.080, and then diluted 1:1 for 1.040 starter wort.

1 Like

Pitched the decanted slurry last night at 8:30, happily bubbling away this morning. I used Omega British Ale VIII.

Rad

Ok, just used my last can of Fast Pitch last night and went to order more and they’re still out of stock. They’ve been out of stock for a while because I remember checking a couple weeks back when I realized I was down to one. With how handy this is, I am hopeful it’s just a supply issue that can be remedied and not that it’s going away. Guess this means I’m going the old fashioned way next weekend for Conan.

Rad