We brewed up our first lager (Oktoberfest all grain) on Sunday, 8/13. I made the mistake of pitching the yeast too warm ( about 65 deg), but immediately after pitching it went into the 51 deg chamber. We pitched 3 packs of wyeast 2633, 2 in starters (1 liter ) and one pack direct pitched.
There was lots of active fermentation going on right through day 8. Then the yeast seemed to fall to the bottom, but still regular activity in the airlock. So I am hoping we are heading towards good beer and the yeast is still working.
I know the "d- rest " is sometimes optional, but since I screwed up and pitched above fermentation temp I think the d-rest is mandatory for me.
I have quite a bit of work travel this week and next, so I am wondering how long I can wait before bringing the temp up for the d- rest. I don't want to rush this beer but I don't want to damage it by waiting too long.
If I don't do the d rest this coming Friday-Monday, then I would have to wait until the following Friday ( sept 1) to start it.
I would like to wait till sept 1 if possible as I think that would give the yeast more time to do its magic. That would mean it was in the primary fermentation stage for about 20 days before doing the d- rest.
What do you guys think ?
Thanks as always.