Hop Growing Thread 2012!

1. Dang! Once they get going the really rage! Good thing you had your twine strung.

Most of mine are up about a foot, just in time for a little spring snow. :slight_smile:

your 5 varieties will all join at the top and get intertangle .you will have a hard time keeping them seperate.

My Mt Hood is over 6 1/2ft already. :shock: Horizon is right behind it. Looks like Iā€™ll be trimming leaves soon.

Mail man dropped a package off at work with my name on it today! now I have Columbus, Cascade and Galena in the ground.

frickin Missouri manā€¦up here in Maine, we had a heat wave, a week of straight 70-80 degree weather 3 weeks agoā€¦and as far as I can tell, my hops are about 6 inches out of the groundā€¦6.5 feet. Do you get multiple harvests/year?

I got a nice little surprise package in the mail the other day. My girlfriend hands it to me and I look at it say ā€œwhat the heck is this thing?ā€ to which she replies, ā€œmaybe that hop plant youā€™ve been talking about for the past few monthsā€¦ā€.

Now the trouble of where to put them. We have several available spots but none that get full sun all day long. Iā€™m trying to figure out which would be the best.

Does anyone see any potential problems with running a plant up the house and then horizontally along the base of the roof? Itā€™s a single story so they donā€™t have a lot of room to go upward but Iā€™m just wondering if the runoff from the roof could pose a problem of some kind. I guess we could always put the gutters back up.

frickin Missouri manā€¦up here in Maine, we had a heat wave, a week of straight 70-80 degree weather 3 weeks agoā€¦and as far as I can tell, my hops are about 6 inches out of the groundā€¦6.5 feet. Do you get multiple harvests/year?[/quote]
:lol: No, these are only second year plants.
They will do great until the Missouri summer sets in. :roll:

still didnt get mine!!! arrrrrrrr

frickin Missouri manā€¦up here in Maine, we had a heat wave, a week of straight 70-80 degree weather 3 weeks agoā€¦and as far as I can tell, my hops are about 6 inches out of the groundā€¦6.5 feet. Do you get multiple harvests/year?[/quote]
:lol: No, these are only second year plants.
They will do great until the Missouri summer sets in. :roll: [/quote]

Iā€™m in southern IA. My Mt. Hood are about 6 feet tall, too. I only have 3 shoots though.

your 5 varieties will all join at the top and get intertangle .you will have a hard time keeping them seperate.[/quote]

If they do get inter tangled I have a plan to cut the rope towards the top and just take the cones and dry them all together and have my own little blend of hops.

My rhizomes just came in from NB on Wednesday. Iā€™ve been waffling back and forth over where and how to plant them; I apparently ran out of time to decide. I decided to put them in pots so I can trial a few different spots over the next couple of years. I could only find 15" pots, so Iā€™m hoping that will be big enough to get me by for a season or two.

Just ordered some chinook centennial and willamette rhizomes. Iā€™m in southern California, an itā€™s my first time. Any pointers?

I am fro, the LA county and I got my shipments of nugget, goldings, and Willamete on march 10. To this date my Willamete is the slowest growing hops with only 1 inch in growth while my goldings and nugget have about 5-6 inches since March 10th. It seems that the willamettes are not as robust as the other so donā€™t worry too much about the willamettes it will grow albeit slowly.

yaaay i got my sterlings today.

Pretty sure 16ft poles are not tall enough for Mt Hood. Just measured today and my Mt Hood Bines are already at 11ft!
Yikes! :shock:

[quote=ā€œBaratone Brewerā€]Pretty sure 16ft poles are not tall enough for Mt Hood. Just measured today and my Mt Hood Bines are already at 11ft!
Yikes! :shock: [/quote]

Just got back from a florida vacation, and my chinook with 2 bines has cleared my 10 foot line! Nugget and Zeus are at about 8 feet with 2 bines each also. EKG is slow, but at a respectable 6 feet.

I am getting a little nervous. My 4th year Centennials havent sprouted yet. They are growing in pots and usually I have seen some activity by this time of year but so far nothing.

have you switched the dirt out in the buckets? if not, they could have exhausted all the nutrients in the dirt. do you get a good yield growing them in buckets?

throw a handful of tomato food on each one. your soil is probably spent like scogs said.

My yields are not impressive at all. I just enjoy watching them grow and maybe get an oz or 2 to throw into a batch.