Hop Growing Thread 2012!

I figured this topic would be up by now. Anyway, with the relatively mild winter in Columbus so far, I was out the other day and saw a few shoots.

Let hop-growing season begin!

I am thinking of planting a couple of dozen hop rhizomes. When are the rhizomes usually available for purchase, I am guessing March? Any good books on the subject?

Thanks

Yeah, it will be a few more months. Some sites will let you pre-order. Keep checking back on this thread for updates. Northern Brewer and Freshops.com are great places to buy them. I think you’ve made a wise decision.

A couple of dozen? When I ordered 20 a few years a go (10 varieties, split amongst 3 friends) I thought that was quite a few.

:lol: , can’t get any earlier for the annual thread.

Amazing mild winter so far here as well,
but I doubt my hops will get tricked this early.

I have a some plans for expansion of varieties I like/use,
and the hopeful demise of a few plants that are worthless to me.

Cheers to the season to come. 8)

Anyone grow hops in South Texas? I am going to be in San Antonio area and would like to give it a try.

Last year was such a great year with such little aphids that I’m really looking forward to this next season. I’m thinking of adding a new variety but I can’t let my wife know :wink: .

chinooks did great last year here in oregon. goldings not so much. i am going to combine my 2 golding plants, and grow something in their place… maybe magnum, maybe columbus, maybe cascade. maybe something new… time will tell

I’ll be starting them this year…seems like a better investment in time than tomatoes or whatever. I can go to the farmers market for that stuff. Anyone got any good tips for the first time grower?

Check out the official hop growing threads for previous years! I get totally sucked into this thread every year - I really can’t believe it got started so early! :lol:

Believe it or not, I already have hops on the bine (but they’re some that I left unharvested from last summer…)

Looking forward to seeing a couple new varieties from last year perform in their first true season. I had a record harvest last year. I can’t wait for the growing season!

I scored 6 amarillo and 6 simcoe rhizomes from “a source”, can’t wait to get them in the ground.

I just pre-ordered 4 rhizomes to plant this year. Looking forward to the first year of growth with likely little production.

I don’t know what your brewing output is but a couple dozen seems like a lot of work to me. It may seem like a good idea but picking them, drying them and storing them is a lot of work just for a few plants. Plus, if you don’t have enough room the vines can get all mixed up and it can be hard to differentiate which is which if they are two close.
Just in case you had not, these are some things to think about.

not gonna ask how you got your hands on those. but dang i wish i had some

[quote=“cam0083”]
I don’t know what your brewing output is but a couple dozen seems like a lot of work to me. It may seem like a good idea but picking them, drying them and storing them is a lot of work just for a few plants. Plus, if you don’t have enough room the vines can get all mixed up and it can be hard to differentiate which is which if they are two close.
Just in case you had not, these are some things to think about.[/quote]

its recommended to plant several in a single mound, so dozen is really like 4 plants. and you can always use them without drying them, if you use them soon after picking. other than that, sitting and watching them grow isnt too much work. although you must have the room

:cheers:

[quote=“mlsouth”]Anyone grow hops in South Texas? I am going to be in San Antonio area and would like to give it a try.[/quote]I’ve looked into it for the Austin area and we have two big minuses in this area - lack of daylight and the heat/drought. Supposedly you can grow hardy hops, like Cascade, with supplemental light in the evening (a floodlight on a pole for instance) and a lot of attention to watering and heat protection.

got sidetracked at work, and meant to follow this up shortly after posting with a big fat ole…“Just Kidding”

got sidetracked at work, and meant to follow this up shortly after posting with a big fat ole…“Just Kidding”[/quote]

Hah! How many pm’s did you get in the meantime? I was about to fire one off and saw your second post…You suck!

[quote=“n8young”]
got sidetracked at work, and meant to follow this up shortly after posting with a big fat ole…“Just Kidding”[/quote]

hahah, fooled me. hope someday they will be available

not gonna ask how you got your hands on those. but dang i wish i had some
[/quote]

You mean not everyone has those growing in their backyard? :smiley:
Damn I love where I live and who I know :cheers:

i’d pay a pretty penny for a ryzome of either simcoe or amarillo

That’s actually pretty funny stuff! Good one.