Hop Growing Thread 2012!

My rhizomes just showed up on Friday afternoon. I put them in the ground that evening. Now I’m just waiting for them to make it out of the ground. :cheers:

I planted Zeus, Chinook, Perle and Nugget 10 days ago and the Perle and Nugget have already popped up!

I have noticed over the last couple of seasons that it helps to re-pull you coir twine lines taut right after the first rain while they are wet. After that they seem to stay nice and tight all season.

I’ve got my 2nd year hops that have already sprouted about 12- 18" already this year. We’ve had a mild winter and a really strange and warm couple of weeks here in WI. I was considering pinching the growth off and letting them come up again. Does anyone do this?

I have experimented with manual late pinching (hacking) to achieve staggered harvest times across varieties.
Seems to work pretty well. Although it seems counterproductive, hops re-sprout with vigor, and then mature later that non-hacked plants.

Yours being a second year plant, I might let them go this year. If the freeze gets them, no worries. If not, you are way ahead.

Cheers.

My hops are just starting to come up.

I just got up my hop trellis for my second year Fuggles!

My 3rd year Centennial, Willamette, and Zeus are coming in nicely as well…

Is it getting too late in the season for me to order rhizomes now? I’m near DC…

my 2nd year chinooks are doing well. and i just planted a couple cascade rhizomes. that gives me 1 chinook, 1 cascade, and 1 golding plant. next year i plan on harvesting some chinook and cascade rhizomes. hopefully all this intense rain the last few days wont drown them out

[attachment=0]securedownload.jpg[/attachment]

Here is my new hop trellis for this year!

nice trellis! for 1 variety?

how tall is it/where did you get the post?

Actually I have 5 varieties. The post is two 8 foot garden timbers. They are joined by cutting in half on each piece and then 3 lag bolts hold them together. I mixed up some concrete in a 5 gallon bucket with a piece of PVC in the middle that holds the timber and then dug it into the ground.

looks good, i am planning on doing something similar next season, are you concerned with getting varieties mixed up at the top?

S.Scroggin-
Great looking Chinooks. Dark purple stock and dark green leaves means it’s gonna be big.

thanks! it was huge last year, im excited to see how this year goes. i will be out of country until September; hopefully it doesn’t run into any mite problems while im gone.

Has anyone transplanted hops from one growing area in your yard to another? I have a chinook and mt. hood that my wife insists must be moved. They’re second year plants. any tips?

No problem, at this point you may be a little frightened once you see what those little rhizomes have turned into after a year of growth. Just dig and move and don’t sweat it if you lop off a few roots - they’ll take off like rockets after they get settled in the new locations. Hop On!

Thanks for the info. I’m also planting an additional Mt. Hood and Chinook, as well as two Nugget rhizomes. The PennDOT fence in my backyard will finally see some good use.

Returned from a week long kayaking trip yesterday to find my bines are already as tall as me! :shock: