Book Recommendation (for an All-Grain Newbie)

Howdy Brewers,

I’ve been brewing extract beers for almost twenty years. Now I think I’m ready for the big leap.

Being a knowledge junkie, I like to become a book expert on any new task prior to getting my hands dirty. To that end, do you have any favorite books that you would recommend? I already have (and have read countless times) The New Complete Joy of Homebrewing and The Homebrewers Companion. What I would like is a book (or books) dedicated to all-grain brewing.

Thank you for your help.

Davisdog (Geoff)

How to Brew. Read it twice. Then read it again. There’s a great ‘crash course’ chapter called “Your First All Grain Batch” which guides you through all the steps. Then you can read the more detailed chapters on how alpha amylase gets activated.

Then, get Brewing Classic Styles. More recipe-focused, but Jamil does offer some great tips/instruction.

Then (you said you were a knowledge junkie), get Yeast by Chris White (of White Labs) and Jamil. Becoming a yeast whisperer will change your beer so dramatically both you and your friends who give only positive feedback :wink: …whether you brew AG or extract/PM.

:cheers:

I read most of the book mentioned, but the one that helped me most was Denny’s website. http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ It helped me build a decent set up and good instructions to brew my first batch.

I still find Ray Daniels’ Designing Great Beers is the most intersting read of all the brewing books I have read. Plus it really helps take you to a higher level of brewing.

I really enjoyed Gordon Strong’s book. I would suggest that after How to Brew. Palmer’s writing style is soild and does a great job of breaking things down.

[quote=“Davisdog”]Howdy Brewers,

I’ve been brewing extract beers for almost twenty years. Now I think I’m ready for the big leap.
[/quote]

I don’t think I could’ve gone anywhere near 2 years without switching to AG, let alone 20.

With that being said, How To Brew is a must. And this forum, as well as a couple others are EXTREMELY helpful.

For the Love of Hops and Brewing Classic Styles.

Brewers,

Thank you guys! I knew I could count on some excellent advice on this forum. All of the above titles are now on my gonna read list.

Davisdog.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
and
The Homebrewer’s Companion

By the legend: Charlie Papazian

Read them twice, then start brewing!

[quote=“Martin Luther”]The Complete Joy of Homebrewing
and
The Homebrewer’s Companion

By the legend: Charlie Papazian

Read them twice, then start brewing![/quote]

He said he read those… Though they are great texts. I suggest the ones noted above and then 2 more - Greg Noonan’s New Brewing Lager Beer and Stan Hieronymus’ Brew Like a Monk.

I like brewing classic styles by Jamil Z.

Designing Great Beers changed my approach to brewing for the better. I think it is a must-read.

I know you asked for books, but I thought I’d share an alternative media that I’ve found enjoyable and that I’ve learned a lot from: the Jamil Show and Brew Strong on http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/

I download podcasts to my ipod and listen to them sometimes when I’m driving around or when I’m traveling for work.

I can’t get past the fluff on the Sunday Show, so I don’t bother with it.