Best American 2-row

I’m going to be buying a sack of 2-row. I just finished off a sack of Rahr and while I liked it, I would like to consider other possibilities when buying my next sack. I brew mostly IPA’s/APA’s and the occasional porter, or stout with my American 2-row.

Any suggestions on trying something new or do most people prefer Rahr? Anyone have any experience using Briess 2-row Brewers Malt? I might also consider going with maybe a marris otter or something else to mix it up a bit.

Been using Briess 2 row brewers forever. I like it. It works, it’s fast, neutral, versatile. I brew the same type of beers as you and to me, the best American 2 Row is what’s fresh, cheap, and locally available. That said, I fork out $2 per pound for Weyermann for lagers though.

I think freshness is underestimated. Once, I picked up a fresh sack and the smell was intense! It lingered in my car for days… Last time I picked up a sack, hardly noticed it driving home. Not too much I think we can do about it as homebrewers. Personally, I think malt freshness is the secret to the german styles.

I’ve used Briess, Rahr and Great Western. They’re all fine if they are fresh.

The best, however, is my own home grown and malted barley, wheat and corn.

How much for a 55lb sack? :wink:

Rahr is my fave followed by Great Western.

I’ve used both Rahr and Briess. Can’t say I’ve noticed any difference. I feel like I read somewhere that Rahr is acidified. Maybe someone who uses it regularly or knows more could confirm?

1 Like

Rahr, because it’s local and I only pay about $33 per sack after discount. :slight_smile:

I stick with Rahr since it’s malted locally in Shakopee and seems to be a very consistent malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[quote=“mattnaik”]I’m going to be buying a sack of 2-row. I just finished off a sack of Rahr and while I liked it, I would like to consider other possibilities when buying my next sack. I brew mostly IPA’s/APA’s and the occasional porter, or stout with my American 2-row.

Any suggestions on trying something new or do most people prefer Rahr? Anyone have any experience using Briess 2-row Brewers Malt? I might also consider going with maybe a marris otter or something else to mix it up a bit.[/quote]

I’ve tried quite a few. I consider Rahr to be best with Great western a very close second. Briess is at the bottom of my list and I avoid it.

Martin Brungard has noted that mashes with Rahr are a bit lower pH.

[quote=“Denny”][quote=“mattnaik”]I’m going to be buying a sack of 2-row. I just finished off a sack of Rahr and while I liked it, I would like to consider other possibilities when buying my next sack. I brew mostly IPA’s/APA’s and the occasional porter, or stout with my American 2-row.

Any suggestions on trying something new or do most people prefer Rahr? Anyone have any experience using Briess 2-row Brewers Malt? I might also consider going with maybe a marris otter or something else to mix it up a bit.[/quote]

I’ve tried quite a few. I consider Rahr to be best with Great western a very close second. Briess is at the bottom of my list and I avoid it.[/quote]
What is it you don’t like about Briess Denny?

[quote=“dannyboy58”][quote=“Denny”][quote=“mattnaik”]I’m going to be buying a sack of 2-row. I just finished off a sack of Rahr and while I liked it, I would like to consider other possibilities when buying my next sack. I brew mostly IPA’s/APA’s and the occasional porter, or stout with my American 2-row.

I’ve tried quite a few. I consider Rahr to be best with Great western a very close second. Briess is at the bottom of my list and I avoid it.[/quote]
What is it you don’t like about Briess Denny?[/quote]

A grainy flavor, kinda harsh, not smooth maltiness. Many of their malts are made from 6 row and even the ones that aren’t exhibit that flavor to me.

When was the last time you used Briess 2-Row?

When did you experience these off flavors? (How many years ago?)

I’ve tasted the same harsh grainy flavor in briess malts that Denny mmentioned. At one brew pub I’ve visited it almost makes all the beers taste the same. I stick to Rahr.

When was the last time you used Briess 2-Row?

When did you experience these off flavors? (How many years ago?)[/quote]

Probably 10 years. Don’t recall for sure. At any rate, I love what I’m getting now and I get it at a great price. Briess had their chance for my biz and didn’t get it and I’m satisfied enough with the alternatives that I don’t feel compelled to try it again.

Something doesn’t add up. Many large breweries including New Glarus, at the time, used or are using Briess 2-Row. What was your water treatment back then? What style of beers? How have you advanced in your brewing since?

Not that I really care or have a vested interest, nor do I care about the malt, but it would be surprising if there wasn’t an identifiable difference.

I’ll buy Rahr first and GW is good also. I also am not a Briess fan. They make tons of the stuff and I guess nothing in their process will ever change. That is the nature of the malting business. I believe that’s why the preferences are what they are. Go with your tastes.

Something doesn’t add up. Many large breweries including New Glarus, at the time, used or are using Briess 2-Row. What was your water treatment back then? What style of beers? How have you advanced in your brewing since?

Not that I really care or have a vested interest, nor do I care about the malt, but it would be surprising if there wasn’t an identifiable difference.[/quote]

No water treatment back then, but I have pretty good water with low alkalinity. Pretty much all styles. Reasonably advanced at the time…BJCP National, also. And just becasue breweries that make good beers use it doesn’t necessarily make it applicable to me.

It seems to me that you’re criticizing something you used ten years ago but can’t explain the differences between why it works for some but not for you.

That’s not a very intelligent criticism.

Now, if you were to brew a control beer today with Briess vs. Whomever and then do a triangle test, you might have something to base your criticism on.

I would be surprised if Briess doesn’t implement quality control and regular improvements to stay competitive in the market place.

Holy hanna, the OP asked if people have a preference and was looking for others opinions. Denny has his opinion based on what has been working for him. Others happy with Briess are free to weigh in with their opinion that they’ve been happy with their results. Pretty infrequently are there clear black and white answers in taste and I for one welcome people’s opinions that come from their experience, no need to triangle test all options before they make a statement that is clearly an opinion.

I use Rahr because it is easy for me to get, I like how it works for me and it is the cheapest option for me which leaves me no desire to try sacks of different maltser’s 2-row.