Best American 2-row

An opinion that’s ten years old?

C’mon Flip you know better than that.

Let’s not spin a suggestion of one triangle test into “no need to triangle test all options”.

C’mon Flip you know better than that.

It seems to me that you’re criticizing something you used ten years ago but can’t explain the differences between why it works for some but not for you.

That’s not a very intelligent criticism.

Now, if you were to brew a control beer today with Briess vs. Whomever and then do a triangle test, you might have something to base your criticism on.

I would be surprised if Briess doesn’t implement quality control and regular improvements to stay competitive in the market place.[/quote]

Do you think there is a difference between malts from different maltsters? If so, why is it “not intelligent” for me, or anyone else, to have a subjective favorite?

You’re propagating an opinion that’s 10 years old. I would call that careless and/or irresponsible at best.

You’re propagating an opinion that’s 10 years old. I would call that careless and/or irresponsible at best.[/quote]

Dude, it’s an opinion…opinions are neither right nor wrong.

very irresponsible Denny…think of the impact this could have to the barley futures market! :roll:

The problem is that your opinion is subjective and not objective. It holds no merit.

You’re falsely labeling something with no objective evidence and when people read that they insinuate that you’ve recently tried Briess 2-Row.

Right and Wrong have nothing to do with it. Misleading is a better descriptor.

A statement along the lines, “10 years ago Briess 2-Row was too grainy for me, but I haven’t tried it since.” is not as misleading/insinuative as leaving out relevant information, “Briess 2-Row is too grainy for me, they had their chance and I no longer buy from them.”

I think you know what I mean, if not, well then have one for me, I’m at work. :cheers:

The problem is that your opinion is subjective and not objective. It holds no merit.

You’re falsely labeling something with no objective evidence and when people read that they insinuate that you’ve recently tried Briess 2-Row.

Right and Wrong have nothing to do with it. Misleading is a better descriptor.

A statement along the lines, “10 years ago Briess 2-Row was too grainy for me, but I haven’t tried it since.” is not as misleading/insinuative as leaving out relevant information, “Briess 2-Row is too grainy for me, they had their chance and I no longer buy from them.”

I think you know what I mean, if not, well then have one for me, I’m at work. :cheers: [/quote]

Every opinion is subjective. That’s why it’s an opinion and not a fact. If you or anyone else disagrees with my opinion, you;re free to disregard it.

You need to re-evaluate your outdated opinion.

BTW, opinions and their subject matter can be both subjective (not based on fact but rather emotion) and objective (based on fact).

You haven’t provided any recent objective measurements that prove your bias.

BTW, opinions and their subject matter can be both subjective (not based on fact but rather emotion) and objective (based on fact).

You haven’t provided any recent objective measurements that prove your bias.[/quote]

Here’s an idea…why not throw a little constructive input into the conversation, rather than singling people out and just arguing (seemingly)for the sake of argument?
From what I’m hearing from at least a couple of folks here, (and, from what I’ve observed in my own admittedly limited experience) Denny’s statement (or opinion, if you will) is still valid.

Oh… By the way, here’s the prime definition of opinion, as per Webster’s 1913 edition:

That which is opined; a notion or conviction founded on probable evidence; belief stronger than impression, less strong than positive knowledge; settled judgment in regard to any point of knowledge or action.
Opinion is when the assent of the understanding is so far gained by evidence of probability, that it rather inclines to one persuasion than to another, yet not without a mixture of incertainty or doubting.

Leaning a bit toward subjectivity, I would say…

Jd14t here’s all I have to say:

1. I have tried Briess 2 row and have tasted a grainy flavor (within the last couple years) that I did not care for.

2. I have tasted other beers made with Briess 2row that has the same grainy taste that I did not care for.

3. #1 and #2 have lead me to believe that I don’t care for Briess as my main malt.

4. this is my opinion and I’m not trying to convert you. Frankly I don’t give a crap what you use and you really should give a crap what I use.

5. see this is both subjective and objective.

You haven’t provided any recent objective measurements that prove your bias.[/quote]

I also do not like Briese malt.
Objective or subjective I do not buy their malt.

[quote=“Thirsty_Monk”]I also do not like Briese malt.
Objective or subjective I do not buy their malt.[/quote]

Great! Good for you!

Just saying, “I don’t like XYZ and don’t buy it.” doesn’t mean jack shit. Why? Because you’re not qualifying your statements.

You have a right to your opinion (be it subjective or objective) just like everyone, but at the very least qualify your statement with things like:

1.) When was the last time you tried Briess malt?
2.) What is the #1 reason why you don’t like it?
3.) Could you adapt your process to make Briess malt work for you?

Qualifying your statements makes your opinion objective and much more respectable, where making blanket statements like “Well I don’t like it either… so there…” simply paints you in a bad light.

1.) When was the last time you tried Briess malt? Last year

2.) What is the #1 reason why you don’t like it? Haven’t heard very good reviews, heard better reviews of Rhar and have since went to it. Rahr works for ME (YMMV).

3.) Could you adapt your process to make Briess malt work for you? Why should we change OUR process? The process we each derive is what we are comfortable with.

You do realize that brewing is an art and not solely a science. Those reading the Forums realize that these are OPINIONS are are not necessarily based on fact.

The vehemence with which you are pursuing this makes me wonder if you have a vested interest in Briess.

[quote=“Thantos43”]1.) When was the last time you tried Briess malt? Last year

2.) What is the #1 reason why you don’t like it? Haven’t heard very good reviews, heard better reviews of Rhar and have since went to it. Rahr works for ME (YMMV).

3.) Could you adapt your process to make Briess malt work for you? Why should we change OUR process? The process we each derive is what we are comfortable with.

You do realize that brewing is an art and not solely a science. Those reading the Forums realize that these are OPINIONS are are not necessarily based on fact.

The vehemence with which you are pursuing this makes me wonder if you have a vested interest in Briess.[/quote]

Aside from your first answer, you’re really not answering the question of why you don’t like Briess.

You’re simply jumping on the Briess hate bandwagon.

Point me to a real review of Briess Malt? You can’t. It’s just people jumping on the Briess hate bandwagon.

As previously stated, I don’t have a vested interest in Briess or any malting outfit.

So you don’t like Briess because of other people’s reviews? Doesn’t add up.

When you tried Briess last year, what made you not like it?

A vain attempt at making yourself look good?

I like Viking Malt, which I can buy directly from the malting house.

I won’t use Bress, and refuse to try it. Though I might change my mind if anyone starts selling it over here.

Why do you like Viking Malt? Can you explain your answer? Because you can get it direct? Because it forms a fluffy grain bed?

So you won’t use and refuse to try a malt that you can’t get… I guess that makes sense.