Yeast

So, I have decided that I like the affect of the Belgian yeasts, but not a fan of the the floral flavor. I am looking for ideas of how to get the same smooth enjoyment without the flowery taste? Ideas suggestions appreciated.

WY3711 (French Saison) does not add any floral characteristics when fermented in the 60s and still takes FGs into the single digits with a nice smooth mouthfeel and some pepper and clove.

Thanks Shadetree, I will give it a try!

Pitch a lot of yeast, and ferment cool (62-64) and you should get what you are looking for with some of the belgian strains. You may have to do some experimenting to find the one you like best.

Wahoo, please say it isn’t so. If I understood what you were saying, I can change the flavor from the yeast by my pitch rates? no.no…no…noooo! -Even worse, the yeast will put off different flavors at different fermentation temps!

I am just getting my head around the significant impact of the TYPE of yeast. I really hope I misunderstood.

I appreciate the reply, but I dont think I am ready to accept that the variations of the same strain of yeast are infinite.

Is there a table somewhere that some brew genius has developed that tells brewers what to expect out of their yeast?

Thanks again!

[quote=“FarEast1”] but I dont think I am ready to accept that the variations of the same strain of yeast are infinite.[/quote]“Infinite” might be a bit of an exaggeration, but yes, you can definitely get different results from one yeast by varying pitching rate, oxygenation, pitching and fermentation temp, OG, etc. Belgian strains probably more so than most, and some strains, like US-05, are pretty stable across a large range of factors. So that’s why you’ll see many posters here specify at least a couple of the factors when they make a recommendation for a yeast - like “pitch and ferment in the low 60s” or “I made a 2L starter and pitched at 67F”.

You understood correctly. The exact same strain of yeast will perform very differently based on amount pitched, temperature pitched at, and temperature fermented at.

This is a good thing, it gives you more control! I know it seems daunting (much of homebrewing does), but it’s usually pretty simple. More yeast fermented cooler will be cleaner. Less yeast fermented hotter will have more esters and fusel alcohol flavors.

Here’s an outstanding chart from white labs indicating performance at various temps for several of their belgian yeasts.

http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/belgianchart.pdf

What affect of them do you like? That would make it easier to make a recommendation.

Daunting to say the least.

I keep telling myself this is a science, but in reality it is more of an art.

I have been (IMHO) very successful in producing very drinkable beers, and just when I am looking into all grain only, Im finding a whole new avenue to track down.
Now, I am not fooling myself, just because I can bake a cake from a box doesn’t make me a baker.
But I have been able to tweak some of the malts or hops and actually see the difference. Quite chuffed about that part. Which encouraged me to start the all grain side of things.
Now I am realizing that I am ‘brewing’ on the backs of others. My supplier for one, bless his heart, who endures an hour of questions every time I pick up some ingredients.
I dont mind learning from the guys before me, but I would like to be somewhat confident in my ability to be consistent. -That’s the part I have been working on.
Now I am understanding that my consistency may be more due to my luck vice control of the environment.
I am not a patient man, brewing is pushing me to my limits. Hopefully expanding those limits a bit.

What I like about the Belgian yeasts are they bring a smoothness to the party. I like a hint of the floral but not the long floral aftertaste. They dont cover up the hops as much as compliment them. Could just be me though.

Appreciate all the responses!

Thanks for the chart Wahoo, but I didn’t see the floral in there. Am I describing it incorrectly? I wouldn’t say fruity or clove. It is definitely floral. It is why I avoid the Chimay’s.

Maybe it would help if you could tell us some beers that have the quality you like.

Probably my favorite commercially available beer is New Belgians 1554. I like the thick mouthfeel, the smoothness. The sweet start complex body and bitter finish. I appreciate the little brother fat tire, but the floral flavor is a little off-putting.