Yeast temp

Hi everyone,
I need advice. Yesterday I brewed Red Irish Ale. I used dry yeast Danstar Nottingham ale yeast. Instruction opt. temp 57-70 degrees. So does the yeast dictate the temp the brew should be in. I place it in one part of my house during colder part of the year it is fine. I check the temp around the fermentor it is 75. It got hot. If I put it in the basement the temp is around 63-65 degrees for now. It is in the warmer temp right now and their is active fementation. Should I move it downstairs in the colder temp. It will get a little cooler at night in both spots. I know if it is too cold may not ferment and if is too warm may get off tastes. Which is best? If I bring it down I may continue brewing :roll: downstairs until it gets cooler in the year. Any advice is appreciated.

[quote=“Garlotta”]Hi everyone,
I need advice. Yesterday I brewed Red Irish Ale. I used dry yeast Danstar Nottingham ale yeast. Instruction opt. temp 57-70 degrees. So does the yeast dictate the temp the brew should be in. I place it in one part of my house during colder part of the year it is fine. I check the temp around the fermentor it is 75. It got hot. If I put it in the basement the temp is around 63-65 degrees for now. It is in the warmer temp right now and their is active fementation. Should I move it downstairs in the colder temp. It will get a little cooler at night in both spots. I know if it is too cold may not ferment and if is too warm may get off tastes. Which is best? If I bring it down I may continue brewing :roll: downstairs until it gets cooler in the year. Any advice is appreciated.[/quote]
It’s best to try and keep your fermentation temperature around the lower end of the yeast’s optimal range. If the room temperature is 75 your beer is probably over 80. That’s way too warm. I’d definitely move it to the cooler spot and even try something like a swamp cooler to keep it closer to a fermenting temp of 62-63 for the first couple of days.

Hi,

Thank you. So, the yeast should dictate the temp and I should :cry: continue to brew downstairs until it gets too cold?

Yup, yeast make beer, we watch. As stated above, try to keep the yeast toward the lower end of it’s range (for most styles). (Some Belgians and saisons need to be on the higher end depending on how much yeast character you want from the yeast)
The active fermentation will produce a little heat, maybe 5-10*.
If the yeast ferments too hot, it can produce fusel alcohols, which give a “hot” flavor with the alcohol taste very up-front, and unfortunately it doesn’t really mellow out over time via conditioning.

Namaste!! :cheers:

Your basement is perfect temp for that beer. The critical temperature is the actual wort temerature at pitching. It takes much longer than most realize for wort to acclimate to ambient temps. Like 8-12 hours… Always measure wort prior to pitching and pitch cool. Go ahead and wait for the wort to cool if it is higher than intended. I regularly wait overnight in the summer.

Hi,

Thank you for the tip. :cheers:

Will using a saison yeast for a NB American Wheat ruin the beer? I have the same problem with room temperature, 73-78 degrees. Or would I be better off brewing an actual saison?