Yeast substitute

Hi I am going to brew the Belgian White Delicious extract from Adventures in HB, supplied by NB. It calls for Omega Wit or Wyeast Belgian Wit. I have an Omega Hefeweizen yeast in the fridge from February, wondering how this would work with the kit? Thanks, Maple60

1 Like

I don’t see why it wouldn’t? Seems it was used for a wheat brew. Day before you brew, take your yeast out and wake it up with a starter. If it has life, you’ll see the next day, which is brew day.
Let us know how it works!
Hey, welcome aboard… many peeps here to talk with about brews, brewing and the such!
Sneezles61

1 Like

well yes and no. If your making a belgian wit I would go with the wit yeast. A wit and a Heffenweizen are both yeast forward beer and need specific yeasts ro bring those esters. If you want a Heff you could use ithe grain bill but I would then drop the corriander and orange peel which is normaly used in a wit. If its slurry Ive found that a heff yeast looses its charachter on subsequent pitches. It will make a fine american wheat though. Just my opinion

1 Like

Thanks!

Thanks I appreciate it!

First off, welcome. This is a great place to hang out, get info and share your own knowledge.

My thoughts on kits are that the first time with one, follow the instructions and do not substitute anything. That way you can see how it is supposed to come out and tweak the recipe later to your own taste. So I would invest the $11 in Wyeast 3944 and save the Omega for another brew.

The 1.063 anticipated gravity on that kit is borderline needing a starter so you might want to consider one. I’m a fan of NBs Fast Pitch or Propper starter offered by other HB shops. It’s a little pricey but makes starters easy.

1 Like