Yeast starter for 2 batches

I’m planning to brew two 5 gal. batches on the same day and i’m wondering if I can make enough starter for both with 1 vial of yeast. I have a vial of White Labs WPL001 w/ a best by date of Jan 2013. I plan to make an IPA w/ an OG of 1065 and an XPA w an OG of 1055. If it’s possible could you clue me in on the proportions etc. If not, I have an extra vial of the yeast but I’d rather save it for a future batch.

Thanks, Mike

It’s possible to figure out how big a starter you need for both beers. First let’s figure out how much each batch needs using yeastcalc.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/index.html

the 1.065 batch will need 237B and the 1.055 batch will need 202B which is a total of 439B.
From there, adjust your viability and starter size/type to reach the final goal.

Plan on making 2 starters which (depending on stirplate or shaking) could take 6-10 days. Be sure to plan ahead for starters so they’re ready on brewday.

Good luck!

:cheers:

mv, thanks for the info and the calculating tables. I’ve made a couple of starters before and just kind of winged it but like this idea much better. I’ll just have to allow more time than I thought since it will take several steps.