Yeast recommendation for Stone Arrogant Bastard Clone?

The recipe I have recommends WLP 051 or Wyeast 1272. I have searched around and most recipes call for WLP002 or WLP007.

I would appreciate if anyone has any experience with this recipe or what yeast should be used.

Thanks all!

MaSheriff

I just bottled a clone of this wonderful beer and I used 1272 Thames ale yeast. Partly due to limitations, but next time I brew it, I don’t think I’d change it. It attentuated well and the flavor profile allowed for the ingredients to come through without any off esters. Actually it tasted almost identical to the real thing. Now, granted I just bottled it three days ago and haven’t tried the finished product. But I tasted a pint at bottling and I was spot on.

I know in stones book they call for 007, but I just went on a whim and am very pleased with the result. What did your recipe look like?

Edit: I used 1275

WLP007 is more attenuative than 1272 which helps with the relatively high crystal percentage in AB. But you could mash low and end up with the right FG using 1272.

WLP007 and Wyeast 1098 work well.

Those two are widely agreed upon as THE homebrew equivalent of STone’s proprietary strain.

I completely agree that it’s not the recommended yeast. I ended up using it due to limitations at my LHBS and all I’m saying is that it worked. And it worked really well.

I have this on tap right now and I used Thames Valley II…I don’t like it. It adds too much English character, you know that bready, fruity taste? Yuck. Don’t like it. Next time, I’m using WL007 or WY1450.

Also, I don’t know what happened. I used 90% 2-row and 10% Special B, but the color isn’t the same, it’s lighter. I did a side by side on Friday and my beer is less carmelly, not dark enough, and the yeast was the wrong choice. Boo that. Could be a variance in special B? I think my water wasn’t high enough in sulfates either, but that’s not a huge deal for me.

I’ve seen Special B anywhere between 130 and 155L. When I did my first clone attempt after listening to the CYBI episode, I used 11% and ended up with the correct color - AHS lists their Special B as “140-155L”.

I’ve seen Special B anywhere between 130 and 155L. When I did my first clone attempt after listening to the CYBI episode, I used 11% and ended up with the correct color - AHS lists their Special B as “140-155L”.[/quote]
I’ll try 11% next time along with a better yeast choice and more sulfates in the water. Would like to get less attenuation this next time also, dried out too much.
Thanks.

So I would suggest NOT using Thames Valley yeast. WY1272 would be a better choice.

I used 1098 when I made the Can You Brew It recipe of this clone and didn’t like it at all. Too much yeast character. Fermented between 66 and 68.

I made a simple pale ale recipe with WLP007 and would say that this yeast is the way to go. Much drier and seemed to be less fruity. Fermented at 66-68.

I know these are supposed to be the same yeast, and I used them in different recipes, but they seemed to be much different in character.

A recent book put out by Stone listed home brew versions of some of their beers and they list 007 for most of them.

From the replies to this post, it seems that the Arrogant Bastard is a hard beer to clone.

MaSheriff

Here’s the recipe I used. It’s been in bottles now for two weeks and it pretty spot-on.

Fermentables

4 lb Pale 2-Row 37 1.8 38.1%
1.5 lb caramunich 33 50 14.3%
1 lb Special B 34 115 9.5%
0.5 lb Aromatic 33 38 4.8%
3.5 lb Dry Malt Extract - Pilsen 42 2 33.3%

Hops

1.5 oz Chinook 60 min
1 oz Chinook 20 min
1.5 oz Chinook 10 min

[quote=“HellBound”]Here’s the recipe I used. It’s been in bottles now for two weeks and it pretty spot-on. [/quote]With 24% crystal and the extract, what FG did you get and with which yeast?

OG was 1.073 and my FG was 1.018 I used 1275 Thames ale. That yeast wasn’t in the original plan, however when I went shopping for all the ingredients, there was a limitation at my LHBS I belabor due to a shipping delay. So, that’s what I used.

It’s pretty close to the original. I have a commercial one in the fridge right now. I’ll take some pics and try to post em. Only difference is it needs to finish conditioning, not carbed enough yet.

[quote=“HellBound”]OG was 1.073 and my FG was 1.018 I used 1275 Thames ale. That yeast wasn’t in the original plan, however when I went shopping for all the ingredients, there was a limitation at my LHBS I belabor due to a shipping delay. So, that’s what I used.

It’s pretty close to the original. I have a commercial one in the fridge right now. I’ll take some pics and try to post em. Only difference is it needs to finish conditioning, not carbed enough yet.[/quote]

How did it fair?

It was definitely close. The color was an exact match and so was the malt backbone. Not quite as bitter as I’d hoped, but pretty darn close. I never took pictures. I forgot I was going to. I plan on brewing it again, only this time adding maybe another .5 of chinook at 45. A few of my friends who are big stone fans drank some and actually thought it was the original. So,

If you brew it, please let me know what you think?