Yeast Problem...Need Advice

(Posted this here since I’m in the process of making a starter and need some advice).

Making a starter for NB’s Sweet Stout (Wyeast 1945-Neobritainnia). Ordered the kit mid-week, was shipped late week and didn’t arrive until Monday. Temps were a little hot over the weekend. By the time I opened the kit, the yeast package was slightly warm; immediately put it in the fridge. Date of mfg. was 2-14-14.

Smacked the package 2 hrs. ago and as of now, no swelling at all. What would you do?:

-go ahead and pitch it into the starter and give it a shot
-wait 24 hrs. to see if it swells
-make a starter with some 1332 Northwest (leftover in fridge = almost 6 months old)
-get some new yeast and proceed with the starter

I would pitch it into your starter and watch it over the next day or two for activity. I bet you’ll be fine. 2 hrs is not that long to wait, I’ve never used a smack pack but I’m sure given more time it would swell.

Two hours isn’t very much time for the yeast to go from chilled to active. I would cool the starter wort down to about 65° and pitch the yeast.
Wouldn’t hurt to rebuild the yeast count of your 1332 with a starter before it gets much older.

I made the 1945 starter; I’m probably just being paranoid. Maybe it’s because this is only my 3rd starter/smack pack.

I’ll also make a starter with the 1332 since it won’t be viable for much longer.

Just curious, was there any package puffing overnight? Or did you just pitch to starter?

[quote=“Helvetica”]I made the 1945 starter; I’m probably just being paranoid. Maybe it’s because this is only my 3rd starter/smack pack.

I’ll also make a starter with the 1332 since it won’t be viable for much longer.[/quote]
Feel like an idiot. This didn’t show up until I posted. Never mind.

I’ve just gotta say it sucks that NB sold you yeast that is over 3 months old at regular price. :frowning: Sure you can make a starter, but you will need a larger one. It just irritates me when home brew shops keep expired yeast on the shelves and expect full price.

My supply house sells expired yst for 1/2 price. You could call a rep and see what they say. They might give you some price off on your next order or something but they should be told about it. New should be “New”!