Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Yeast Problem...Need Advice

(Posted this here since I’m in the process of making a starter and need some advice).

Making a starter for NB’s Sweet Stout (Wyeast 1945-Neobritainnia). Ordered the kit mid-week, was shipped late week and didn’t arrive until Monday. Temps were a little hot over the weekend. By the time I opened the kit, the yeast package was slightly warm; immediately put it in the fridge. Date of mfg. was 2-14-14.

Smacked the package 2 hrs. ago and as of now, no swelling at all. What would you do?:

-go ahead and pitch it into the starter and give it a shot
-wait 24 hrs. to see if it swells
-make a starter with some 1332 Northwest (leftover in fridge = almost 6 months old)
-get some new yeast and proceed with the starter

I would pitch it into your starter and watch it over the next day or two for activity. I bet you’ll be fine. 2 hrs is not that long to wait, I’ve never used a smack pack but I’m sure given more time it would swell.

Two hours isn’t very much time for the yeast to go from chilled to active. I would cool the starter wort down to about 65° and pitch the yeast.
Wouldn’t hurt to rebuild the yeast count of your 1332 with a starter before it gets much older.

I made the 1945 starter; I’m probably just being paranoid. Maybe it’s because this is only my 3rd starter/smack pack.

I’ll also make a starter with the 1332 since it won’t be viable for much longer.

Just curious, was there any package puffing overnight? Or did you just pitch to starter?

[quote=“Helvetica”]I made the 1945 starter; I’m probably just being paranoid. Maybe it’s because this is only my 3rd starter/smack pack.

I’ll also make a starter with the 1332 since it won’t be viable for much longer.[/quote]
Feel like an idiot. This didn’t show up until I posted. Never mind.

I’ve just gotta say it sucks that NB sold you yeast that is over 3 months old at regular price. :frowning: Sure you can make a starter, but you will need a larger one. It just irritates me when home brew shops keep expired yeast on the shelves and expect full price.

My supply house sells expired yst for 1/2 price. You could call a rep and see what they say. They might give you some price off on your next order or something but they should be told about it. New should be “New”!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com