Yeast Mistake. Now what?

I decided to try doing yeast starters for the first time. I made 3 yeast starters ahead of time for the 3 extract kits I decided to brew on brew day. Heres the problem… I mixed up the last 2. D’oh! I could have died! Must have just gotten too rushed and made a silly mistake. I didn’t realize until JUST after I poured in the last one. My question for some of the more experienced brewers is, what kind of results am I going to get?

I brewed the Wee Heavy, the Advantageous Weizenbock and The Number Eight kits from Northern Brewer. I accidentally used the 1762 Belgian Abbey II yeast from the Number Eight in the Weizenbock and the 3638 Bavarian Wheat yeast from the Weizenbock in the Number Eight.

I was thinking about doing something in secondary for the Trappist Ale anyway. I was thinking about a small amount of oak chips and port, but I’m not sure how that’ll work now.

I had 2L starters of each yeast and had an OG reading of 1.091 on the Number eight and 1.089 on the Weizenbock. Really hope I didn’t ruin em!

Keep the fermenatation temps low, low 60’s, to subdue the belgian funk and the weizen banana/clove. Nothing you can really do besides that except pray to the beer gods for mercy :slight_smile:

Hmm… they’re at about 67 right now. I should see if I can move them down to the basement tonight. Still can’t believe I did that!

Don’t drop the yeast too far too fast. Maybe get them down 5*F. Dropping them too far will put them to sleep.

It happens. I’ve done it myself but not such a drastic extent. Meant to pitch US-05 into one beer and a Nottingham into another, wound up mixing them up. Both are a clean yeast and without a comparison with the “right” yeast, I couldn’t tell that I’d messed up.

Yeah fermentation temp shot up to about 72 the first night (I really need to make a fermentation chamber), but it seems like its on its way back down today. I’ll have to check again tonight and see if the move downstairs is going to work.

I for one have done the same thing too. A lot of us have. I am very interested in hearing how they come out. You never know. This is how people stumble onto wonderful things. Please let us know how they turn out.

Will do. The weisenbock with the trappist yeast took off like a rocket for fermentation for the first 48 hours. I have a large diameter blow off tube running to a milk jug 1/4 full of sanitizer. Foamed over and onto the floor twice already. Seems to be almost down to nothing about 72 hours in. Right now I have the temperature down to about 64-65 degrees, however it did spike up to about 71 the first night.

The opposite beer seems to be bubbling along nicely.

Let us know what they taste like, you might be on to a new fad.

The Weizenbock might turn into a neat Belgian Dark Strong.

Never tried a Wheat Belgian beer as it is prohibited by Reinheitsgebot.

[quote=“brans041”]Let us know what they taste like, you might be on to a new fad.

Never tried a Wheat Belgian beer as it is prohibited by Reinheitsgebot.[/quote]

What is Reinheitsgebot?

[quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“brans041”]Let us know what they taste like, you might be on to a new fad.

What is Reinheitsgebot?[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Reinheitsgebot

I’m anxious to find out what they taste like. I was planning on doing a port soaked oak cube treatment in secondary for the trappist ale, but I’m not sure anymore. What are your guys thoughts?

[quote=“brans041”][quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“brans041”]Let us know what they taste like, you might be on to a new fad.

What is Reinheitsgebot?[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Reinheitsgebot[/quote]

That is an insult

:roll:

[quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“brans041”]

That is an insult[/quote]

Meant to be more of a joke. I guess I could have linked the Wiki article, seems like it would have been the same end to me.

[quote=“brans041”][quote=“paultuttle”][quote=“brans041”]

That is an insult[/quote]

Meant to be more of a joke. I guess I could have linked the Wiki article, seems like it would have been the same end to me.[/quote]

I understand. I ask these simple questions (PROBABLY STUPID QUESTIONS TO PEOPLE MUCH SMARTER THAN ME) to get the answer from a homebrewer in his/her own words. This is not the first time you did this to me. I also asked about Graham cracker extract and you did the same thing.

Reinheitsgebot is the German Beer Purity law. Not a whole lot of room for interpretation there. One thing you will find on almost any type of forum is that people like for you to attempt to research things on your own when it comes to simple questions. No malice is intended, but simple questions seem to get asked the most and are the easiest to find yourself. Search is your friend! Answers can be found on the forum as well as simple internet searches. Good luck with your brewing!

As for me, I cant find a whole lot of info on port soaked oak in a beer I just accidentally made up lol. Any other opinons on that?

I know. As an engineer of 29 years, I am very familiar with looking up stuff on my own, all the time. Like I said, sometimes I just want to hear what another experienced homebrewer has to say about the subject. Looking up crap on my own is boring.

Perhaps expanding the question would be best for you then. Rather than asking “What is…” Questions that are “feeling” questions would get a more desire able response.

But to avoid a firestorm we should get back on subject.

[quote=“brans041”]Perhaps expanding the question would be best for you then. Rather than asking “What is…” Questions that are “feeling” questions would get a more desire able response.

But to avoid a firestorm we should get back on subject.[/quote]
I’m wondering how a German “law” pertains to Belgium…