Yeast issues?

I’ve been having problems the last couple times brewing… My saved yeast doesn’t seem to want to wake up and get going… I’m doubting the yeast is the problem… I’m throwing this out there a sort of brainstorming… I’ve kept mixed star San in a 12.5 bucket… Very easy to submerse my starter jugs, storage jug and tubing for the transfer process…
I am going to dump out that bucket and all my yeasts I’ve saved… Just wonder if there is a catalyst reaction between the bucket and star San that’s not good for yeast health… I do have my old keggle… Start fresh… And I have 2 packets of dry yeast to start all over with… Am I the left only handed swede that could have this issue?
Sneezles61

Are you doing the shaken not stirred yeast starter protocol?

I’ll repost that link again for others. Old Dog...New Tricks | Experimental Homebrewing
And
New starter procedure trial

Yes, that’s been working great for a couple years now… Just of late, things have gone awry… Like you… Instead of brewing today… It’s all getting dumped out, cleaned and set my sights on tomorrow being brew day…
I suppose you get many years of great brews, then, the laziness sets in… or is it complacent, which ever… Clean slate on the yeastie side tomorrow…
Sneezles61

1 Like

What yeasts are we talking about?

Fermentis dry yeasts that I saved slurries from…
I had time to talk to the Brewers in town, he said the scenario is like this… Every time you use the star san, it’s like warriors going to war… There are casualties on both sides… so saving for long time use just won’t work… You can mix up and use a few times without worries…
Sneezles61

Not sure I get what point you’re making? Star san is bad for yeast?

I used to dump my yeast slurry into the bucket right after sanitizing it and prior to racking wort in. I stopped doing that becuase I feared the sanitizer was not a friendly environment for the yeast and could kill a few cells before I got the wort in. Paranoia maybe?

I harvest straight from the fermenter. The yeast there At the end always outnumbers any opponents.

1 Like

I’ll need to ask the Brewer about his statement…
I agree, actively harvested yeast is the best to use/reuse…
I suppose there are older yeast star san clean up… And maybe even the way lesser wild stuff… To a point…
Sneezles61

Till so far never had issues. With my yeast. Could it be you did reuse this kind of yeast to much. Me reuse about 3 times. And toss it out than

on this last one, was the second pitch… I went into the yeast barn and kicked them all out… Start over and build up… BUT I will mix up fresh star san and not think it’s just fine after using it a couple dozen times… And won’t store it them big plastic jugs… I’ll use a keg… After 6 times… Time for a fresh mix after that…
Sneezles61

What were you storing in big plastic jugs? The StarSan or the Yeast?

Star san that was mixed…
Sneezles61

I keep a couple of gallons of star san in a covered bucket all the time. Sometimes I’ll use it for months. I go buy pH and appearance. It’s cloudy the minute I mix it with my well water but the pH is usually below 2. I’ll continue to use it while it’s under 3. Dark or murky looking it gets dumped.

1 Like