Yeast for Barleywine?

I putting together a recipe for a barleywine. I have the recipe the way I want it, but am unsure of what yeast to use. I originally thought 1056, but am now leaning more towards 1762. Any suggestions?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1029108/amer ... barleywine

Right now it’s a partial mash recipe due to my mash size limitations. But am hoping I can find a fellow brewer in my club to let me brew an all-grain version on their equipment.

I would go with WY1450 or WY1272

Are you set on using liquid yeast?

I just recently made a batch and used two packets of US-05 and I have to say it performed pretty well. Aroma and flavor (transferring to secondary) were good and did a nice job on the gravity taking it from 1.088 down to 1.022.

Good luck and cheers!!!

My preference is to use liquid yeast. And I prefer Wyeast, but not married to it. But the attenuation and alcohol tolerance of US-05 is in the ‘medium’ range. At least according to my hops/yeast app. And the barleywine I’m making has an estimated OG of 1.111 and a final estimated ABV of just over 11%. It just doesn’t seem like a good fit.

I’m not aware of any ale yeast that won’t tolerate 11% ABV. Certainly any American/British strain will be able to handle it.

Calling Chico’s attenuation “medium” is… interesting. It’s one of the most attenuative ale yeasts there is.

I’d go with 1272 or 1968, depending on which way you want to take it. If you want to go Belgian, I’d suggest 3787.

[quote=“dobe12”]I putting together a recipe for a barleywine. I have the recipe the way I want it, but am unsure of what yeast to use. I originally thought 1056, but am now leaning more towards 1762. Any suggestions?

http://hopville.com/recipe/1029108/amer ... barleywine

Right now it’s a partial mash recipe due to my mash size limitations. But am hoping I can find a fellow brewer in my club to let me brew an all-grain version on their equipment.[/quote]

Boy, those are 2 VERY different yeasts! Do you know that 1762 is from Rochefort? Are you up for a Belgian flavored BW? For an AM. BW, it’s hard to beat 1056.

a10t2: I’m just going by what my app says. The app lists hops and yeasts and descriptions of them. I know for Wyeast, the description is word for word from Wyeast’s site. The description for Safale US-05 is:

A ready-to-pitch dry American ale yeast. Safale US-05 produces well balanced beers with low diacetyl and a very clean, crisp end palate.

Attenuation: medium
Flocculation: low to medium
Optimum fermentation temp: 59-75F
Alcohol tolerance: medium

I’ve never used the yeast, so these aren’t my impressions. Just a description on an app.

Thanks Denny!

I went to Wyeast’s site and searched through their yeast directory. Wyeast recommends these several choices for barleywine.

1056 - American Ale™
1084 - Irish Ale™
1762 - Belgian Abbey II™
1332 - Northwest Ale™
1728 - Scottish Ale™

I was looking for a yeast with a higher possible attenuation and those two fit the bill. I guess I have to decide which direction I’m looking to go, but I think you’re right. 1056 seems like a better fit for what I’m trying to do.

I’ve also read that the 3 versions of Chico (safale / white labs / wyeast) even though are said to be from the same strain can be wildly different. Again, no experience here. Just what I’ve read.

A big +1 on that. It’s a great all purpose yeast to begin with, attenuates well, and is a stellar performer in a BW. Safale US-05 is apparently the dry version, works great also, but seems to perform somewhat differently. In my experiments with the dry yeast, I found that it seems to attenuate more and so recipes needed some tweaks so as not to result in the brews being too thin or dry.

Another very good choice would be East Coast Yeast’s “Old Newark Ale”.
It’s the strain that Ballantine originally used for their ales. So it’s very likely that they would have also used it for their special Xmas Burton/Barleywine.

Thanks! I think I’ll go with 1056. I planned on buying a pack of that yeast for another beer anyway. Should make a nice stepping stone for a big barleywine!

English or American?

It scarcely matters…I’ve made American BW with WY1968 and English BW with WY1056.
And vice verse.
The yeasts have different profiles and fermenting characteristics, but both work equally well in either “style” of BW.
(I’d be willing to bet that 1056 can probably be traced back to British origins anyway)

IIRC Sierra Nevada confirmed that a while back.

[quote=“dobe12”]Thanks Denny!

I went to Wyeast’s site and searched through their yeast directory. Wyeast recommends these several choices for barleywine.

1056 - American Ale™
1084 - Irish Ale™
1762 - Belgian Abbey II™
1332 - Northwest Ale™
1728 - Scottish Ale™

I was looking for a yeast with a higher possible attenuation and those two fit the bill. I guess I have to decide which direction I’m looking to go, but I think you’re right. 1056 seems like a better fit for what I’m trying to do.[/quote]

The attenuation rating of the yeast means very little to what you;ll get. The fermentability of the wort is what really matters. Pick the yeast based on the flavor profile you want. I’ve made many fine (some award winning) Am. BW with 1056. You can’t go wrong. Look at it this way…that’s the yeast Sierra Nevada uses for Bigfoot, one of the finest Am. BW around.

I don’t know if I’d say “wildly” different, but there is a difference.

IIRC Sierra Nevada confirmed that a while back.[/quote]

Glad to learn that. Over the years I’ve gotten into more than one (good natured) argument about it. :cheers:

I’ve made some great BW with Belgian yeasts, but I am a fan of the 1056 profile. if you do want to experiment with Belgian strains sometime, I suggest trying 3787. I used it in my '08 & turned out awesome.

I used 3787 for a Patersbier which has a stepping stone to a Belgian Tripel. The Patersbier was a fantastic beer. Craft beer & BMC lovers both loved it. The tripel is still conditioning, but first tastings were also very good.

I think I’ll still go with the 1056. I’m looking for a big malty, hoppy american barleywine and I really don’t want the yeast to dominate. What I liked about the 3787 is how much of the flavor for the finished beer can be attributed to that yeast. Not sure that’s what I want in my barleywine.

But thanks for the suggestion!