Yeast Cake ReUse

I’m about to brew the NB Black IPA which calls for safale s-05 as the dry yeast of choice. I am about to rack a rye porter to secondary off of s04.

Any reason I couldn’t just use that 04 yeast cake and put my black IPA right in the primary with it?

I’ve read that 05 is higher attenuation and will make the beer dryer where as 04 will leave more sweetness which I suppose could change the nature of the IPA?

If I reuse the 04 should I remove the yeast and sanitize the ale pale or assume since I haven’t had it open it’s all still sanitized and just put my new wort right in on the cake?

[quote=“dannyboy58”]I’m about to brew the NB Black IPA which calls for safale s-05 as the dry yeast of choice. I am about to rack a rye porter to secondary off of s04.

Any reason I couldn’t just use that 04 yeast cake and put my black IPA right in the primary with it?

I’ve read that 05 is higher attenuation and will make the beer dryer where as 04 will leave more sweetness which I suppose could change the nature of the IPA?

If I reuse the 04 should I remove the yeast and sanitize the ale pale or assume since I haven’t had it open it’s all still sanitized and just put my new wort right in on the cake?[/quote]
I definitely like s04 in my stouts. I don’t think you’ll notice more sweetness but it won’t attenuate like us05. The pale will be sanitary and you could rack the new wort right on top of the cake if you don’t plan on storing the yeast. Some would take half of the yeast out with something sanitary as not to overpitch. I’ve known people to do it both ways and get good beer. I normally salvage the yeast and pitch 1/3 into a new vessel.

Lately I’ve been super lazy and have just been pitching right on top of yeastcakes. It’s easy and there is less cleaning because you don’t have to clean the fermenter after racking your beer. :cheers:

I like yeast experimenting for two reasons:
1st: because you get to learn more about different yeasts
2nd: because it allows you to use what you have on hand. A lot of people get hung up on yeast thinking it will completely ruin the brew if you use a different one than is recommended. To a certain degree that could be true but so long as it’s within reason you’ll be fine. This is definitely within reason.