Year on airlock

We made mead for the first time last year but because of the dragging covid renovation of the house we only got to them just now.

We had them racked from the 5L carboys into 2L bottles with a waterlock in a cool dark cabinet in the basement.
Some of the waterlocks have some white fluf in them but they have lost little fluid.
Our main question is if this experiment can continue or should they have been on airtight bottles sooner ?

It looks clear, smells like honey with a hint of soury yeast :slight_smile: A bit darker than the cider.

Take one for a testā€¦ Ifn it tastes like meadā€¦ Its ready then! :grin:
Sneezles61

As long as the airlock had liquid its good probably great. Mead gets better with age

1 Like

Agree completely what do you put in your airlock?

Some people put water, neutral spirit. Sanitizer water, etc.

About 25 years ago I bought a book of wine recipes.

In that book they recommended putting vegetable glycerin in the airlock because it doesnā€™t evaporate, and Iā€™ve done that little trick ever since.

Your thoughts?

okā€¦ I have a different take: "white fluf " is a growth of some sort.
So, I would:

1. remove and clean out (with proper cleaner) the white fluff. if you are lucky a little sugar ended up in the waterlock and some bacteria from your basement went to town.
  2. Try what you haveā€¦ take a taste, and if it tastes skunkedā€¦ that was wild yeast and you got what you got, it will not make you blinds, but it may not taste good.
  3. Cork or put a cop on your meadā€¦ yet it gets better with age, but after a year you are not producing any more co2, no need to keep the water lock

ā€¦ if it takes good, drink. if it could use some time, leave it for another yearā€¦ if if tastes badā€¦ wait until your mother in-law comes over and serve it to her,.

MFED

Good to see yer still aboutā€¦ Thank you.
Sneezles61

You got me with mother in law :slight_smile:

I have little reference tastwise unfortunately. Most tasted ā€œstrongā€ donā€™t know if itā€™s on yeast, alcohol,ā€¦ I can say that they tasted a little bit like that at first racking (but much stronger then).
I have them in corked bottles now, will see if they mellow.

Itā€™s just that when I see some videos about drinkable mead after a month or so, I was like "what? did I buy the wrong ā€˜mead-yeastā€™, did I add to little air in first,ā€¦ First rack tasted like shnothing at all :slight_smile:

The ciders are much easier on the mouthā€¦ (and nose)

1 Like