Year Old First Batch Ever Tasting

My son and I started Brewing last December with a starter kit and the Chinook IPA kit from our host. We put away a 20 oz. bomber for his birthday last April but forgot about it until now. We popped it tonight and I have to tell you it was delicious! The ones we had fresh were not as good as this one to be honest. This beer definitely benefitted from a little age. Clear and crisp!

1 Like

Some believe that IPA has to be drank immediately. I’m of the camp that you have to find a beers sweet spot.

How did it compare to the beer you drank earlier?

I’m also a believer than an IPA and pale ale can get better with age. The right recipe and fermentation conditions allow for blending and better character. Oxidation is the spoiler.

1 Like

Way better. The first ones were okay as we were pretty excited about drinking our own homemade beer. In hindsight I remember there being an odd taste, I think I’ve read it as a “twang” on here. Last night there was none of that. The beer had a solid backbone and decent hop. Not too much for aroma but the flavor was great. Funny, we were laughing when we opened it thinking it was not going to be very good. What a nice surprise we got! It was so good, I’m thinking we might need to order the extract kit and the AG kit and do 'em.

3 Likes

That is a very nice looking brew… IPA’s, I do enjoy all the aromas and flavors, not a big fan of a bitter IPA… An APA, I like a balanced malt to hop… perhaps why my preference to ESB… Again, very nice! Sneezles61

I plan on opening a bomber of 4 year old belgian dark strong tonight. It was great as a 3 year old…so we’ll see…

2 Likes