Wyeast

OK. I have been brewing more than a day and have never had a smack pack start swelling before the malt packet is broken. The foil is still sealed… should I be concerned?

No worries. Keep it in the fridge until you are ready to smack it.

You’re good. You might not be able to break the nutrient pack if it’s already swollen, but you can still pitch it into a starter.

I hate those stupid smack packs. I get that Wyeast is a good product, but what stupid gimmicky BS. I can never tell if its broken, and have actually smacked a pack and had the whole package break open on me.

For that reason alone, I’m more of a WL guy.

[quote=“Pietro”]I hate those stupid smack packs. I get that Wyeast is a good product, but what stupid gimmicky BS. I can never tell if its broken, and have actually smacked a pack and had the whole package break open on me.

For that reason alone, I’m more of a WL guy.[/quote]

Hmmm, never had that issue after 40-50 smack packs over two years. I have had two that were too inflated to smack, so I did not try

Was able to smack it. I guess it may be an art. I found the bladder and smacked it between my hands. I never had much success on the counter top. Anyway, this one bloated to the point I thought it might burst but it remained firm until I cut the corner off and added it to my 1/2 gal starter. BTW this is the coveted Pacman yeast. :smiley:

I like the smack packs. I know they don’t do much but I still think they are fun. Although I did have one blow up on me a while back. Guess I had a bit to much pent up rage. Oh well, even though it was user error the guys at Northern Brewer swapped it out for a new one which I honestly didn’t think they would.