Wyeast package inflated, do I need to re-order

My latest kit showed up in the mail yesterday and the Wyeast package looks to be already inflated. I did order it with the cool packs option, but everything in the brown envelope was a little bit warm.

The Wyeast package went right into the fridge, but I’m not planning to brew for another 2 weeks.

Should I contact NB about the yeast?

-troy

You,re OK. The yeast can survive around 110F. Just don’t ferment your beer that hot.
You don’t have to smack the inner pack, it just proves the yeast is viable (proofing).
What are you brewing? A starter might be a good idea. You have plenty of time.
Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Oh, Thanks.

I’m going to brew up the Cream Ale extract kit.

Here’s the story. I ordered my brewing starter kit (plastic carboys) with the Irish Red Ale, which is happily sitting in the secondary carboy at the moment. But one of my goals here is to brew a beer that my wife would also like.
After looking through the catalog with me, she thought the Cream Ale sounded like it would be good. Which works for me because I’m in it to try a lot of different beers.

Thanks a ton for the answer. I’m currently in the more questions then answers stage.

-troy

well,
This was a lesson for me.
The yeast never took off in the primary after 48 hours. The lesson was to contact NB immediately the next time I receive an inflated package in the mail.
It did kind of put me into salvage mode. So, since I didn’t have another smack pack, I pitched package of Nottingham that I had handy.
Second run at home brewing. Mistakes are bound to happen.
I’ll know better next time.

-troy

48 hours isn’t extremely long. Sounds like it worked out, though. :cheers:

72 hours is were I start to get concerned.

Though with questionable yeast, a starter is advised. Most people will tell you they are always necessary. But 1000’s of batches of beer have been made with out. And they have turned out very well.

It’s possible, maybe even probable that I jumped the gun on pitching a second yeast.
The fermentation period for this cream ale is pretty short according to the sheet (2 weeks primary, then bottle), so I have high hopes that it’ll all turn out OK in the end.
If not, half the fun is experimenting, anyhow.

-troy

[quote=“Adrys”]It’s possible, maybe even probable that I jumped the gun on pitching a second yeast.
The fermentation period for this cream ale is pretty short according to the sheet (2 weeks primary, then bottle), so I have high hopes that it’ll all turn out OK in the end.
If not, half the fun is experimenting, anyhow.

-troy[/quote]

I’d say it’s almost a certainty that you didn’t need the other yeast. And just pay no attention to the fermentation schedule in the recipe. The beer makes the schedule, not the calendar. It’s done when it’s done.

Thanks Denny, and everyone else who responded.

-troy