Wyeast 1056 v. 1272

Other than 1272 dropping a little more quickly/completly, is there much of a difference between 1056 and 1272?

I have Dead Ringer IPA in primary made with 1056 and looking to make the NB Black IPA in another week or so. The NB Black IPA kit recommends 1272. I’d like to re-use the 1056.

Can I just use the 1056 or should I spend the extra few bucks and get some 1272? I don’t want to risk messing up the Black IPA.

Thank you.

[quote=“Wyeast”]WY1056
Very clean, crisp flavor characteristics with low fruitiness and mild ester production. A very versatile yeast for styles that desire dominant malt and hop character. This strain makes a wonderful “House” strain. Mild citrus notes develop with cooler 60-66°F (15-19ºC) fermentations. Normally requires filtration for bright beers.[/quote]

[quote=“Wyeast”]WY1272
With many of the best qualities that brewers look for when brewing American styles of beer, this strain’s performance is consistent and it makes great beer. This versatile strain is a very good choice for a “House” strain. Expect a soft, clean profile with hints of nut, and a slightly tart finish. Ferment at warmer temperatures to accentuate hop character with an increased fruitiness. Or, ferment cool for a clean, light citrus character. It attenuates well and is reliably flocculent, producing bright beer without filtration. [/quote]

I see no issues with using WY1056 in that beer, I wouldn’t even think twice about it.
I love me some 1056 fermented at 62F

I too enjoy 1056 because it is so very clean without any esters and low diacetyl if fermented at low to mid 60’s although some like 1272 because of the diacetyl and esters it creates as shown below.
Here is a snippet of some info I posted on another thread:
Taste threshold of Diacetyl = 0.08 mg/l
Taste threshold of Ethyl Acetate = 30-50 mg/l (Esters)
Taste threshold of Isoamyl Acetate = 1-2 mg/l (Esters)
A. Wyeast 1056/ WLP001
Diacetyl = 0.027 to 0.078 Mg/l ( approaches taste threshold)
Ethyl Acetate = 17 mg/l ( well under taste threshold )
Isoamyl Acetate = N/A ( well under taste threshold )
B. Wyeast 1272/ WLP051
Diacetyl = 62 Mg/l (approaches taste threshold)
Ethyl Acetate = 33 mg/l ( At taste threshold )
Isoamyl Acetate = 0.983 mg/l ( approaches taste threshold )

Diacetyl: Butter like aroma at moderate to high levels.
Ethyl Acetate: Fruity with solvent undertones when above the flavor threshold. Considered an off flavor in beer when in high concentrations.
Isoamyl Acetate: Can produce banana and pear-like flavors when above the flavor threshold.

I’d describe it like this-- they are different, but fully substitutable from recipe to recipe.

+1

Thanks for the replies. I am going to re-use the yeast for the Black IPA. I plan to primary the Dead Ringer for 2 weeks, secondary for at least 1 week, plus an additional week for dry hopping.

Now, time to figure out whether I want to wash the yeast or not.