Wyeast 1007

Just posting some notes in case anyone is interested.

I’ve been testing a few fall batches using Wyeast 1007 to see how it works as a fall (read: east coast temps dropping but not yet cold) German beer yeast. I first brewed Jamil’s Altbier recipe in August, using 1007. I thought I had good temps in the low 60s but then during the first two days of fermentation temps rose up to 72F. It then fell into the mid-60s. After two weeks, the beer smelled like burning tires. After three weeks I racked it into a keg and dropped to the low 40s. Started carbing a few weeks later, and tried it tonight. After all the suspense, the beer is pretty good at this point. Malty, hints of sulfur but not overwhelming. I also brewed a “Helles” grain and hop bill fermented with S-05 and it lacks German-ness. Misses entirely. I think that lager/Altbier sulfur is important, even if overwhelming at the start from too high temps. The alt is on track.

I have a Munich Dunkel grain/hop bill fermenting on 1007 now, and this weekend brewed a Helles bill also fermenting on 1007, at 60F (in the middle of hurricane Sandy).

All have been very messy fermentations and have needed a blow-off tube. Temps in the 50s would be better, no doubt, but I wanted to see how it would do in my real world un-refrigerated conditions. The alt is reminiscent of something I enjoyed in a stein over dinner in Bamberg, at least way more than something fermented with S-05. I brewed it for Thanksgiving, so it should be great by then (if there’s any left).

Love this yeast. Only negative is that it is not flocculant at all, and yes don’t bother with an air-lock go straight to blow off tube. :cheers:

I have never used this yeast, but have a starter going to brew Santas Helper. So is it a lager or ale yeast, or a hybrid? Denny says ferment at 60-62 but it will also work at 50?

I’m doing a collaboration with someone on a Pilsner and since I can’t lager, I’m using 1007 at about 58-60 while he’s using a true, lager yeast. I made a starter and within 8 hours it started. I had a blow off tube connected the first 3 days but today, removed it and went to an airlock. It’s starting to settle now.
I’ve heard this makes a decent lager like beer but it’s my first time using it.
Fingers crossed.

I have done an Alt at 60F and a Baltic Porter at 58F and both are fantastic. I once had a quart jar with a small amount of 1007 in the fridge at 34F. I wasn’t ready to brew yet but,the yeast had sat for two weeks. I decanted the liquid and added about 2 ounces of wort and put it back in the fridge. An hour later yeast was coming out the top of the jar. Temp wise it had to be between 40-50F.

Yes, but this may be one of its best qualities. So far, my Altbier batch, on the 1007 yeast, kegged, and a few weeks into lagering is acting like a kellerbier. Slight yeast haze, but very slight. Great flavor and looks just right in a stoneware stein. Yes, wouldn’t look so good in a glass. But that’s not how they serve it in Germany.

[quote=“Beerlord”]I’m doing a collaboration with someone on a Pilsner and since I can’t lager, I’m using 1007 at about 58-60 while he’s using a true, lager yeast. I made a starter and within 8 hours it started. I had a blow off tube connected the first 3 days but today, removed it and went to an airlock. It’s starting to settle now.
I’ve heard this makes a decent lager like beer but it’s my first time using it.
Fingers crossed.[/quote]
Please keep me posted, curious how these compare.

It might be awhile but if I forget and you remember, send me a PM and I’ll get you caught up.

[quote=“bbrew”]Just posting some notes in case anyone is interested.

I’ve been testing a few fall batches using Wyeast 1007 to see how it works as a fall (read: east coast temps dropping but not yet cold) German beer yeast. I first brewed Jamil’s Altbier recipe in August, using 1007. I thought I had good temps in the low 60s but then during the first two days of fermentation temps rose up to 72F. It then fell into the mid-60s. After two weeks, the beer smelled like burning tires. After three weeks I racked it into a keg and dropped to the low 40s. Started carbing a few weeks later, and tried it tonight. After all the suspense, the beer is pretty good at this point. Malty, hints of sulfur but not overwhelming. I also brewed a “Helles” grain and hop bill fermented with S-05 and it lacks German-ness. Misses entirely. I think that lager/Altbier sulfur is important, even if overwhelming at the start from too high temps. The alt is on track.

I have a Munich Dunkel grain/hop bill fermenting on 1007 now, and this weekend brewed a Helles bill also fermenting on 1007, at 60F (in the middle of hurricane Sandy).

All have been very messy fermentations and have needed a blow-off tube. Temps in the 50s would be better, no doubt, but I wanted to see how it would do in my real world un-refrigerated conditions. The alt is reminiscent of something I enjoyed in a stein over dinner in Bamberg, at least way more than something fermented with S-05. I brewed it for Thanksgiving, so it should be great by then (if there’s any left).[/quote]

Now close to Christmas, the Altbier was great. I also brewed a Dunkel with 1007 and served it for a party last weekend. Really turned put well. Fermented at 60F, lagered for 6-8 weeks and it’s smooth and malty. My verdict, great fall lager yeast.

1007 can also be used in an American hefe in place of 1010.

Do you reuse the yeast that ends up in the blow off receptical?