Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

WY2206 - how to obtain FG with lager

So, I’m using Wyeast 2206 (pitched a gallon starter in 1.070 OG wort), and my primary fermentation appears to be done… However, my gravity’s at 1.024 – a little high. My diacetyl rest is complete, so if I put this wort at lagering temperatures (~38F), will my gravity go down, or should I leave it at my current temp (~64F) in hopes that the yeast bring it down a few more points beforehand?

Please help a lager noob! :slight_smile:

Leave it at the higher temperature and check the gravity every 3-4 days until it stops dropping. You may also want to pull a small sample and do a fast ferment test to find out if you’re near the attenuation limit of the wort. It’s impossible to say without a recipe, but it could simply be finished.

This has always confused me. If you pitch a gallon starter in 5 gallons of wort, don’t you end up with 6 gallons of beer and doesn’t that change the flavor significantly?

Or are you making a gallon starter and decanting 85-90% of the liquid before pitching?

Sorry if this is a dumb question

[quote=“560sdl”]This has always confused me. If you pitch a gallon starter in 5 gallons of wort, don’t you end up with 6 gallons of beer and doesn’t that change the flavor significantly?

Or are you making a gallon starter and decanting 85-90% of the liquid before pitching?

Sorry if this is a dumb question[/quote]

I always decant 90+% of the liquid, leaving just enough to swirl up the yeast from the bottom…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com