Wow,, Thats malty

I just sampled my Irish Stout after 15 days of being bottled. (I could not help myself) I’m happy to say that they are carbing up pretty good, but man are they extremely unbalanced towards the malty side.

I was wondering, will this dissipate some with more conditioning? Is this result of using WL british ale yeast rather than Irish Ale yeast?

Probably the yeast.
What was the OG/FG?
Full carbonation will at least give it a drier mouthfeel, think Guiness head.

Is it a bready malty flavor or a sweet malty flavor? If sweet, what was the FG?

Bready or sweet, hmm. I don’t remember feeling like it was sweet in taste. It wasn’t very, but like someone said, hopefully it will fee drier once it carbs up some more. The FG was 1.015 and OG was 1.042

Are you sure it was done fermenting? 1.042 to 1.015 is only 63% apparent attenuation.

All grain or extract?

It was an extract, damn it, now i’m gonna have to look up attenuation. I was pretty sure it was done, now you have me wondering.

It was most likely done fermenting or at the very least, extremely close. Extracts always finish higher than all grain. That’s the main reason I started doing partial mashes and then moved on to all grain. I got tired of higher FG sweeter beers.

What did you brew, a sweet stout? a dry stout?
A stout is supposed to be malty.
You may have bottled a little early but it probably would have finished around 1.010 or 1.012
your not drastically off but will be on the sweeter side from the low attenuation

It’s the NB dry irish stout kit.

Try subbing out some of your extract for a bit of table sugar next time to help lower the final gravity.

A dry stout should definitely be dry with some bitterness, not sweet.

i dont think you need to put table sugar in a1.042 stout

Thanks for the inputs guys. In a couple weeks from now, i’m thinking I’ll trully know how this beer came out. After all, it is only two weeks in a bottle… This was my first brew and I think I have noticed a few things that I will differently next time I brew it.

throw out the directions and do a bunch of reading/listening/asking questions. I have not brewed a kit batch in a long time but when I was doing it I remember the instructions being really bad

Subbing a pound of table sugar for some of the extract will help dry the beer out. I’d rather have a dry stout that’s dry, not malty sweet like the OP is complaining about.

Subbing a pound of table sugar for some of the extract will help dry the beer out. I’d rather have a dry stout that’s dry, not malty sweet like the OP is complaining about.[/quote]

and he probably racked off the cake to soon. Yes adding sugar will help dry something out but something that low of gravity I dont see a need

I racked it after ten days. Next time i’ll make sure I let it sit longer and take samples to make sure it’s done.

If your bottles end up highly carbonated or gush a bit over time you’ll know why.

Subbing a pound of table sugar for some of the extract will help dry the beer out. I’d rather have a dry stout that’s dry, not malty sweet like the OP is complaining about.[/quote]

and he probably racked off the cake to soon. Yes adding sugar will help dry something out but something that low of gravity I dont see a need[/quote]

Probably, but the comment was made as a general tip for his next extract brew.

[quote]

Probably, but the comment was made as a general tip for his next extract brew.[/quote]

He should figure out what when wrong with his process and attenuation instead of just adding sugar to a low gravity beer like that.

Since you obviously just enjoy arguing I’ll just say OK dude.