WLP028 vs WY1728 vs Safale S-04

I know there is a yeast section on the forums but i know this will way will get the most attention…sorry moderators.

I was wondering if any anyone has used these three and if they could provide how they compare against each other or are they basically the same exact yeast. My experience is only with the S-04 and it was definitely a powerhouse but how it compares to the others, i don’t know.

FWIW i am brewing the NB Imperial Stout kit and i plan on fermenting at the colder end of the temp range.

why not buy all 3 strains, and split a 5 gallon batch between three fermenters and let your palette decide?

any one of the 3 should work fine on an imperial stout (with proper pitch rate, temp, time, etc.), but everyone’s palette is different, and what suits yours might be slightly different than someone else’s.

Alternatively, someone with more knowledge than me may come by and give you the answer you are looking for (!)

They are very different. Long time since I used 028 but I recall it didn’t attenuate well for me. 04 has a very tart, bready, taste that I just don’t care for. 1728 is very clean and ferments great down into the mid 50s.

I can definitely second this. In more more experimental days (let the jokes fly), I tried it in an AmIPA, and it near ruined it. I wanted a ‘breadier’ flavor, but it just wasn’t right, likely because of the tartness that Denny mentions. Maybe it would be ok in a bitter, but I’ve been gunshy of it ever since and have been a Notty man!

I can definitely second this. In more more experimental days (let the jokes fly), I tried it in an AmIPA, and it near ruined it. I wanted a ‘breadier’ flavor, but it just wasn’t right, likely because of the tartness that Denny mentions. Maybe it would be ok in a bitter, but I’ve been gunshy of it ever since and have been a Notty man![/quote]

Notty is another one that I find has a disagreeable sour tartness…YMMV.

I can definitely second this. In more more experimental days (let the jokes fly), I tried it in an AmIPA, and it near ruined it. I wanted a ‘breadier’ flavor, but it just wasn’t right, likely because of the tartness that Denny mentions. Maybe it would be ok in a bitter, but I’ve been gunshy of it ever since and have been a Notty man![/quote]

Notty is another one that I find has a disagreeable sour tartness…YMMV.[/quote]

well now Denny I just have to ask: what yeast do you use for your bitters and/or English style ales? Or do you just not dig those? I feel like one of my favorite prem bitters, Conniston Bluebird, has an ever-so-slight tang to it.

Notty is another one that I find has a disagreeable sour tartness…YMMV.[/quote]

I also have never liked the 04. I don’t usually mind the Nottingham myself and use it fairly often, but do go for one of the Wyeast London strains when possible (forget which one I usually get.)

WlP028 and 1728 are very similar. Mr. Malty claims them to be from the same source. I have used both, and really like both of them. I’ve used them in porters and scotch ales. Clean taste, and ferments low. Personally, I like S-04, but it is very different from the other two. I ferment around 60F with it, and I get a nice breadiness, and some fruitiness. Made a very nice oaked-bitter with it. I would go with the Scottish strains over S-04, but I think it is still a nice yeast.

[quote=“Pietro”]
well now Denny I just have to ask: what yeast do you use for your bitters and/or English style ales? Or do you just not dig those? I feel like one of my favorite prem bitters, Conniston Bluebird, has an ever-so-slight tang to it.[/quote]
Wyeast 1469 can give you a little tang. I’ve used it in an all Challenger bitter and liked it a lot.

[quote=“Pietro”]

well now Denny I just have to ask: what yeast do you use for your bitters and/or English style ales? Or do you just not dig those? I feel like one of my favorite prem bitters, Conniston Bluebird, has an ever-so-slight tang to it.[/quote]

I don’t care for or make English style ales, but if I did it would be either WY 1028 or 1469.

Do you think i’ll actually taste the fruitiness in an imperial stout though? I used it in a dbl IPA recently which was really hopped up thus any fruitiness coming from the yeast would be overpowered by the hops.