WLP007 in ales and IPA's

Late last year I visited a nearby brewery and grabbed some of their homebrew yeast on sale. They tell me they put this out weekly from their fermentors and it’s a strain of WLP007.
I tried it in a Coconut IPA and 1 other, very hoppy IPA and really liked it. It was semi-dry and let the hops shine. Attenuates well but was a tad cloudy (not that I really care about that).

So, I’m going to try it in a hoppy, pale ale but rarely see this used in ales and IPA’s.
Anyone use this too and found they liked it? I’m thinking of using this as my house strain since I do so many IPA’s. And man, are the starters ugly looking. :lol:

I love 007. The cloudiness in the IPA must have been due to dry hops or something. 007 has a pretty high flocc rate. I use it in a lot of big beers.

It’s the Stone house yeast, great for ales and hoppy beers. If I had to pick just one liquid yeast, 007 would be at the top of the list.

Edit: Mitch Steele recommends WLP007 for making Stone clones and I make an Arrogant Bastard recipe that is indistinguishable from the real thing in triangle tests, so while it might not be “exactly” the Stone house yeast, it’s mighty close. :wink:

I agree with the above. Right now I have 007 In a Pliny clone and should get 75 to 80% attenuation. I also like this yeast in big stouts.

It’s a very versitile yeast and does great in IPAs and Pale Ales as well as porters/stouts and english bitters. Hard to find anything wrong with this yeast whatsoever.

Thanks for all the replies. I am still surprised how seldom it’s used. Speaking to a few local and regional stores, they hardly sell any.
Well, I’m moving forward with my use of this yeast on many, many of my beers and I’ll see where it takes me.

[quote=“Beerlord”]Thanks for all the replies. I am still surprised how seldom it’s used. Speaking to a few local and regional stores, they hardly sell any.
Well, I’m moving forward with my use of this yeast on many, many of my beers and I’ll see where it takes me.[/quote]

that’s probably an anomaly to your area. the place i buy from keeps almost as much 007 in stock as 001.

it isn’t exactly Stone’s yeast as was mentioned, but its very close.

am also surprised by the cloudiness you mention. sure its yeast related rather than pH or something like that?

I’ve used this a few times and it’s a pretty good all around yeast. It seems to have a slightly longer lag time than some other strains I’ve used, but it usually generates krausen within 18 hours. It works well in lower gravity beers with a high mash temp, though I find the esters from warmer fermentation temps (around 68F) are not quite what I am looking for in an English beer. They are kind of like peaches or melon. This gets overpowered rather quickly with strong malts or hops though. It seems cleaner at temps in the low 60’s. It floccs pretty quickly and drops like a rock which is nice.