Witbier fermentation issue

TV in I am on my 5th day after the boil. I am making Northern Brewers witbier. After some reading, I hydrated my dry yeast and added it to the carboy and agitated it. The first day the airlock was bubbling away. Now, in the basement at 74 degrees, the bubble has slowed to once every 2 minutes. Is this too slow? Can I repitch. The wort OG was 1.05 approx. I read in this forum that reagitating helps. Am I being too impatient?

It is most likely near done at this point, (with dry yeast and warmer temperatures, the quick start to fermentation)…You are probably just fine. I would still let it go for a full 2 weeks to allow the beer to '“mellow”/clean up after itself.

Short answer: absolutely no need to pitch more yeast or agitate.

2 Likes

Thanks voodoo for the input . I will wait to the 2 week point.

2 Likes

In addition watch those ferm temps. Fermentation is exothermic (creates heat) so if your basement is 74° you’re easily 76°, 78°, heck even 80°. For easy control look into swamp coolers.

1 Like

Loopie, I have a thermometer sticker on my carboy. It says 74 degree currently. Hopefully it is fairly accurate. Thanks again.

They are fairly accurate. So that’s the temp of your fermenting wort. Likely your ambient basement temps hover around 68°. 74° actual ferm temps are a little high for most yeast, unless you’re using a Belgian strain or Kviek. Even on Belgians I will hold them a couple/few days around 68° and then let it free rise.