Winter, gotta love it

Not whining. Just sayin’
Temps finally rose above 20F after subzero last week and been wanting to brew.
So I shoveled the drive and front walk for access to water and clear the garage space, which is a mud puddle from melting vehicle ice.
All set to go when find no water flow through the carbon filter on brewstand. Yep, a block of ice. Thawed that in sink and have spare cartridge ready to go.
Next step, grind grain. Charged up battery for drill/driver 2 d ago inside. Thought I was all set there. Probably got a handful of crush before wound down to dead. So here I am waiting for it to recharge and hoping battery is not toast from living in cold garage.
I’m still gunning to make this beer today even if have to go buy extract and crushed grain!
Now where’s that whine emoticon?

Yeah! Batteries powered up. Mash in by 1:30.

Right on. Make it happen! The only thing I love about winter brewing is the cold tap water; got my vienna lager wort down to 50F on Saturday. Took about 20-25 minutes. THAT, I love.

I hear you guys. Going to try and brew Thursday. Supposed to be 32F. I am gonna wear sandals, shorts, and a hawaiian shirt… :lol:

My biggest winter time brewing mistake:

Brewed in the garage, with the door up about a foot for fresh air intake.

I’ve done this before, in nice weather, just 'cause it’s a little closer to my equipment, the hose, etc. So, I was in the zone. Old hat. Done this many times. At the end of boil, I opened up the garage door, hooked up the garden hose to the chiller, and let it go to work.

10 minutes later, I hit 75F… and… I had a nice skating rink on the driveway. I mean, the ENTIRE driveway was a sheet of ice.

It took 3 days for the sun to hit it and melt it off. </forehead smack>

Got to post a pic of that to lift all our frozen, sick of winter spirits! :smiley:

I love winter brewing - especially as the snow falls. Was all psyched for a nice winter brew session on Saturday, and it went and warmed up on me. 34F and drizzle, the very worst weather for being outdoors. But the brewing went smoothly.

I like it when it snows. But this year has mainly just been COLD.

I built an electric kettle so I wouldn’t have to brew in arctic conditions. At the moment it’s only 56! No way I’m going out in that kind of weather. The weather’s brutal here in Northwest Florida! :mrgreen:

[quote=“Diesel Tonic”]My biggest winter time brewing mistake:

At the end of boil, I opened up the garage door, hooked up the garden hose to the chiller, and let it go to work.

10 minutes later, I hit 75F… and… I had a nice skating rink on the driveway. I mean, the ENTIRE driveway was a sheet of ice.

It took 3 days for the sun to hit it and melt it off. </forehead smack>[/quote]

Hey, that’s ok. I drain mine to a gravel area next to the garage through a second garden hose to avoid the skating rink.
Then it warmed up to 40 deg next day and my drive is a sheet of ice anyway from melting snow and drizzle… shoulder shrug.
My drive is north facing so only 1/2 sees sun this time of year.
But I do recommend running it off into dirt or gravel if you can. Usually works.

And my brew day went a little late, but otherwise fine. And I did empty the water filter tub and dried the element in house a couple days. Looking fwd to the next brew!