Will Star San solution keep for a week?

have a lid on it but it’s not air tight. need to sanitize a keg but not sure if i should use a solution i prepared last Friday, or make a new one. Thoughts?

I’ve used the solution for multiple batches over a period of a few months. I keep a lid on the bucket but not always air tight. Haven’t had a problem thus far. Hopefully someone else will chime in about the PH level. As long as the PH is below 3 or 3.5 (I believe) it’s good. One week shouldn’t be an issue. I usually pour it out and make a new 3-5 gallon batch after 2-3 months (4-6 brews). It may still be good but at an ounce per 5 gallons I’m not going to take a chance on something funky getting in there.

I have found that Star San last much longer if I make it with distilled water

Star san will not keep for a week - it will keep for several months if only used to sanitize already cleaned equipment. As long as it doesn’t look dirty and the pH is below 3.0, it will be effective and safe to use.

Invest in a jug or bucket that seals well, and use the same batch of star san over multiple brew sessions.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]Star san will not keep for a week - it will keep for several months if only used to sanitize already cleaned equipment. As long as it doesn’t look dirty and the pH is below 3.0, it will be effective and safe to use.

Invest in a jug or bucket that seals well, and use the same batch of star san over multiple brew sessions.[/quote]

Yup, I’ve got a 3 gallon bucket of StarSan that I’ve had going since…well, I’m not sure. Spring sometime. I occasionally have to replenish it with another gallon of water and a splash of StarSan, but it definitely beats mixing up a new batch (and regularly buying sanitizer) every time you need it.

I keep starsan in a spray bottle and refill every few months. I use it to sanitize the keg fittings, hands, lids and pretty much anything too large to submerge.